Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Poker chips now being sold where I work?? :X

Just something I found kind of funny (not sure if this is the right forum or not..), but I work part-time in a sports store in Canada called National Sports, probably one of the biggest sporting goods store in our country. Today, I walked in to work, a place that mostly sells golf equipment, hockey supplies, baseball merchandise, and sitting on a table (with its own section) is an entire poker section. Full cases with poker chips, racks, Hellmuth and Lederer DVD's, chip racks, electric card shufflers, you name it. Dice suited 11.5 gram chips to be exact..I had to keep my manager up to date on some of the stuff.

Anyone see poker becoming like this in other sports stores? Being considered an actual sport? I was quite taken aback, wouldn't you be??

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Poker chips now being sold where I work?? :X

ESPN = Sports
Poker on ESPN = Poker is a Sport
Poker is a Sport = Poker in Sports Stores
Old 11-12-2004, 02:34 AM

They have some pretty debatable sports on ESPN. Like bowling.

Or fishing..
Old 11-12-2004, 02:39 AM

I was at Excalibur in the mall the other day (mainly a knife / some collectables store), and all the sudden they have poker chipsets as well.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just something I found kind of funny (not sure if this is the right forum or not..), but I work part-time in a sports store in Canada called National Sports, probably one of the biggest sporting goods store in our country. Today, I walked in to work, a place that mostly sells golf equipment, hockey supplies, baseball merchandise, and sitting on a table (with its own section) is an entire poker section. Full cases with poker chips, racks, Hellmuth and Lederer DVD's, chip racks, electric card shufflers, you name it. Dice suited 11.5 gram chips to be exact..I had to keep my manager up to date on some of the stuff.

Anyone see poker becoming like this in other sports stores? Being considered an actual sport? I was quite taken aback, wouldn't you be??

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw "Texas Hold 'Em gift sets" at Robinson's May in the mall.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw "Texas Hold 'Em gift sets" at Robinson's May in the mall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen those things in Borders. What complete garbage they are. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Ah yes - but do they not sell fishing supplies at sporting goods stores? I am not sure any store sells bowling stuff except a bowling alley - but I have bowling experience.

The poker section at all the local bookstore has probably tripled in the past year....
Old 11-12-2004, 02:53 PM

ESPN has been getting a little liberal with their "sports" coverage lately, so I don't know if that's the best argument. Prime example: they had the National Scrabble Championship on last week, no joke. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Also, they covered that national spelling bee on SportsCenter, but I think that was just because that kid fainted.

Dick's Sporting Goods carries poker stuff now too, but it's all junk like the "Texas Holdem Set" mentioned above. Could you imagine walking into your home game with an official green felt Texas Holdem mat and the matching chips to go along with it from that stupid kit? My buddies would tease me unmercifully, and rightly so.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:47 AM

national spelling bee airs on espn 2 every year.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:15 PM

Taking a stroll through the mall, I saw no fewer than 12 stores selling poker chips, with at least half of them displaying them in the front window.

Novelty stores, general stores, clothes stores (???), just about every type of store had a poker chip/table/card area.