Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 12:42 AM

Default Small stakes NL books

Ok I havent bought any poker books. I went into Borders yesterday and looked at all the books, I read a lot of Phil Helmuths book while I was there(the chapters on hold'em) I know about Super System, but didnt figure it would make much senese to read that while I was there since I wouldnt even make a dint in it. Other than this I havent read anything. I play a game once a week $20 buy in, .25 and .50 no limit hold'em. Sometimes I get another game or 2 in during the week, but its also the same type of game. So anyway, im going back in 2 days or so to buy some. Im leaning towards super system, but ive heard thats mainly for high stakes hold em, so it might not help much. So what book should I get that would benefit my game the most in this type of game. Ive been playing seriously about 2 months, and for the most part everyone is decent(about 14 players at most, we usualy end up with 2 tables then move it into 1, sometimes only 8 players or so though), a few bad players, but 2 of the guys are really good. Alright well thanks for the help ahead of time!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Small stakes NL books

any help would help a great deal, lol I gotta get somthing tomorrow, but I dont know what to get
Old 11-08-2004, 04:04 AM

Reuben & Ciaffone's PL&NL Hold'em is excellent. It may be a bit much to digest at first, but it'll be worth the effort.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I havent bought any poker books. I went into Borders yesterday and looked at all the books, I read a lot of Phil Helmuths book while I was there(the chapters on hold'em) I know about Super System, but didnt figure it would make much senese to read that while I was there since I wouldnt even make a dint in it. Other than this I havent read anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't going to learn anything browsing a book in a book store. To start, you need to spend at least an hour or two researching old posts here to read opinions about various books and to see which books are most likely to fit the games you play.

Then you need to find the one book most likely to fit your situation, BUY IT, and study it. Read it, play some cards, reread it in detail and take notes, play some more, and read it again. Once you feel you have profited from it, find another book and repeat. Until you become a consistent winner, you should be spending at least as much time reading every week as you spend playing.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:58 AM

Super System 2 is coming aout soon and Dan Harrington's
is in preorder on the main page of this site.
Ben is right look at the old posts on this site as well!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 PM

I dont exactly have money to be throwing down on numerous amounts of poker books. Which I why I wanted to know which one be the best to start out with in my situation. Ive read the forum, and it seems that the book selection seems to differ for what type of game you play, which is why I posted my situation. I will check out the book mentioned above, thanks for that, I planned on getting SS2, and Harringtons book, but I would like to go ahead and purchase one. Any other suggestiosn would be awesome, and what about Super System, would it benefit me? Or not help since it is mainly for high stakes? Thanks again
Old 11-09-2004, 02:35 PM

'Pot and no limit poker' or 'improve your poker', both by Ciaffone. The first one if you are only buying 1.