Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 02:05 AM

Default J9o in the SB, Blind vs Blind.

Online 10-20 game.

Folded to me in the small blind. I have J9o, and I complete. The big blind raises, and I call. The BB, is loose, aggressive, on tilt, whining about bad beats which aren't, and calling people names in a friendly way. He has also chastised me for being a smart ass, which I probably deserved, but he was serving up a lot of straight lines that it wouldn't be right to leave untouched.

Anyway, flop AJ4, rainbow, I check, and he bets, I call.

Turn 2, I check, and he bets, I call.

River 5, I check, and he bets, and I call.

Are there any spots that I could play differently? Was this reasonable?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: J9o in the SB, Blind vs Blind.

i read your hand until the flop, then i said to myself "just call this guy down"...i would have played itt the same...
Old 11-06-2004, 02:15 AM

Sometimes I raise preflop here but I don't think this is one of them. I think your completion is fine. I can't see any other line to take after that, as getting 3-bet sucks in this situation and there is a likelyhood of him betting all the way w/out a pair.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 11-06-2004, 02:19 AM

i read your hand until the flop, then i said to myself "just call this guy down"...i would have played itt the same...

Well, then you would have played it exactly the same way I did. I thought about it for a bit on the flop, and then decided to check/call all the way.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:42 AM

Looks good if you raise he will call/fold unimproved.

If you raise he might 3bet and you really dont want that.

If you are lucky he might have a small PP or KQ,KT type hands.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:48 AM

Default Results.

I posted this hand, because I was wondering if I would be ahead often enough to justify calling on all three streets in a two big bet pot.

Apparently everyone agrees with the play that I made in the heat of battle. In that case, you would have all won the pot, my opponent had pocket 8s, and as a bonus, you would all also get called 'moron' by the BB.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Results.

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this hand, because I was wondering if I would be ahead often enough to justify calling on all three streets in a two big bet pot.

Apparently everyone agrees with the play that I made in the heat of battle. In that case, you would have all won the pot, my opponent had pocket 8s, and as a bonus, you would all also get called 'moron' by the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW...I like this guy. That is the exact phrase I like to use when someone raises the river when I bet the nuts, then calls my 3-bet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] "Moron" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think you are ahead here more than enough times to make the check-call correct.

--Casey
Old 11-06-2004, 04:25 AM

Is 10/20 so different that you'd deviate from a check/call, check/call, bet line? Why / why not, especially given the river?

Rob
Old 11-06-2004, 04:51 AM

i don't play 10/20, nor can i speak for Bob, but it seems like this guy was on pretty bad tilt or crazy aggro so check/call the river prevents us from having to deal with being raised, which would really suck...
Old 11-06-2004, 04:55 AM

I think against this particular opponent checking the river is okay because I'm guessing he'll bet more hands than he'll call with, and it also seems this is a spot where being bluff raised on the river is a possibility. Also take into account an aggressive/tilting opponent might raise with just top pair if hero bets the river.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think the river check is okay because we're probably paying off a raise here, and there's a good chance our opponent will bet many hands we beat if checked to. Is this correct, or am I up too late?

[ QUOTE ]
He has also chastised me for being a smart ass, which I probably deserved, but he was serving up a lot of straight lines that it wouldn't be right to leave untouched.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my favorite part of the hand, by the way.