Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Bad Beats

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but my search of the archives didn't reveal any interesting threads. How do 2+2 pros deal with the bad beats? It's easy to say that things will turn around and that if you're playing correctly, you will win in the long run.

Are there any pros out there who have hit such a crappy run of cards that they've spent most of their bankroll? I've gotten beat on 25-1, 12-1, and so many 4-1 beats lately that it's taking a toll.........more mentally than monetarily. My bankroll is strong, but my spirits are weak. Can anyone offer any encouragement?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Bad Beats

I remind my self that it's those people who play those longshot draws that pay me. If it weren't for them I'd have to work alot harder to make the money.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:14 PM

i try to be happy i got my money in good - i think of that as winning the pot even if it doesn't get pushed my way.

and when i put a nasty beat on somebody i try to remember it for later.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:37 PM

not a pro, but i got use to being rivered over time. Like one person said as long as I'm going into the hand as the favorite i'm happy despite the results. Because in the end it's those people that make us money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 02:35 PM

Default A Brutal Game

I used to take bad beats very badly. As mainly a tournament player there is nothing worse then having your poker day end because of a suck out. At least when playing a cash game I can reload. The bad beats would linger for days and eat at me like a disease. Then I had a moment of clarity. A Poker epiphany I will call it.

The thought was this: Poker is a BRUTAL game. We have all chosen to spend a lot of time and energy on something that will, from time to time, emotionally kick us in the teeth. A boxer realizes that he has chosen a sport that is going to hurt him. He can win and still have to go to the hospital. Poker is similiar. The sooner that you can really accept that you have chosen this path for yourself the sooner the bad beats will slide off your back.

It helped me.

Matt F.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:48 PM

Try to remember it is a seven card game. If all the cards were dealt face-down, then you would not know that you were in the lead for a while. Think about it. Seven cards.

Remind yourself (if you are a winning player)that your current situation at the table is irrelevant to your overall win total, you simply get an hourly rate.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Re: A Brutal Game

Im with Cozzy, I just had 60BB worth of bad luck. I'm not sure if BasketballNYC's epiphany is scary or helpful. Sometimes I just dont know what to do... I'm at a nice loose table, you see people going in on rags every hand except the hands you get which all run into monsters. Sometimes this game seems to reward only the stupid. I try and play it out and stick to the game plan, but it just doesnt turn around. What the hell am I supposed to do?