Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 09:10 AM

Default you dont need no math to play poker

sklansky seems to advocate doing these fairly complex calculations (ie what are the odds of a q j being the best hand in a nine handed game under the gun)however most of the variables are not known(ie it is likely someone has a better hand, but would k j call you?). Knowing the exact answer would have a small positive value, however, if thinking about these types of problems distracted you from studying your opponents' plays then overall being a "mathy" player would hurt you.
writing be not my strength. However im just trying to say studying your opponents play and tendencies has enormously more value than these math problems.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: you dont need no math to play poker

You are possibly correct on very close decisions. However, mathematics are the basis for a larger portion of your overall winnings. The "no-brainer" decisions are exactly that because of the math. Knowing the percentages that make it correct for drawing vs. folding are key. I'm not referring to the sklansky example, just in general.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 AM

The complex calculations are not necessarily meant to be done at the table. I think it is valuable to do these sorts of calculations on key hands away from the table. I think it give you a deeper knowledge of the mechanics of the hand with the goal being that when you see a similar situation again, you have some instinct for what the right thing to do is without necessarily doing to complex math behind it.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:35 PM

If you don't know the math to calculate what the outcomes are, of what value is it to read your opponent and find out what his hand is?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:37 PM

The subject sort of exaggerates my point(meant to be slightly funny i guess). But my basic point is i rather be able to read my opponents better than to be able to solve complex situations when the variables are almost always unknowable (because they are people dependent).
Old 11-02-2004, 02:48 AM

Just go All In.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
writing be not my strength. However im just trying to say studying your opponents play and tendencies has enormously more value than these math problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

The skill you talk about is used to estimate the variables in these math problems.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But my basic point is i rather be able to read my opponents better than to be able to solve complex situations when the variables are almost always unknowable (because they are people dependent).

[/ QUOTE ]

But once you become so good at reading opponents, those variables will no longer be unknowable.

You could turn it around and say it's no good being able to read people if you don't then know the best play based on the information you have collected.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:07 PM

Unless you're talking about Helmutian reads, math comes in to play when figuring out what the other player has.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Contrary to certain Oreo theamed poker movies, reading hands is nearly all math. It's not sexy, but it's true. You could teach someone with a good memory and good math skills to have "incredible instincts".