Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 11:47 AM

Default If you knew if would be capped

If you knew pre-flop betting would be capped at 5 bets with 5 callers, what would the correct pre-flop starting hand requirements be and how would they differ from standard?

(Assume that players are loose passive post flop...)
Old 10-24-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: If you knew if would be capped

I don't think there would be any deviation from the standard. Play only premium hands behind a raise.

Dov
Old 10-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Default BUMP: Re: If you knew if would be capped

Is this question so obvious, ie, don't change, or so hard to answer no one wants to try??

BTW, this is hardly hypothetical at some Live 3/6 & 4/8 tables I've seen
Old 10-25-2004, 01:17 AM

i think playing very tight would be in order. i don't think that i would play aq, unless it is was suited, and i was on button. i would probably end up seeing something ridiculous like 5% of flops. i also think paying attention to who is in the pot is very important. if another tight-ass gets in the pot, i would definitely not play aq. i wonder if this is too tight? the fact that every pot i get involved in will be huge would make up for the fact that i would be spending a lot on blinds to wait for the premium hands. i wonder what the break-even point in tightness preflop is, assuming you play perfectly postflop(yeah right)?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Re: BUMP: Re: If you knew if would be capped

You are absolutely right about this situation being true to life. I play in a 10-20 game just like this. Of course I would say right off the bat "Give me aces", but aside from that I would want high siuted connectors. Preferably KQ or J10 suited. AK suited is alright but you can only flop an inside straight draw, although the nut flush possibility is nice. These high suited connectors are easy to fold if you don't hit and have enough drawing power if you do. Aces might be the statistical favorite but how do you calculate in all the lost bets from going to far with them? So, in a perfect world give me aces every time in a real world I'll take high suited connectors. P.S. If you knew it would be capped preflop every time then buy in for at least twice your usual. You will have bigger swings than normal and you don't want to run out of ammo.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you knew pre-flop betting would be capped at 5 bets with 5 callers, what would the correct pre-flop starting hand requirements be and how would they differ from standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
What are we supposed to assume about the hands they have preflop? Did 5 random hands decide to put 5 bets in, or did 5 reasonable players decide to cap it with premium hands? If you decide whether to credit your opponents good hands or not, that should make it easy.

Implied odds are less important. It is important to play hands that are good in multi-way pots. If your opponents don't have premium hands, that includes hands like KQo.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:25 AM

Hands were close to random, I saw everything from 55 to 94s to Arag o to K rag o...I'd asy slightly better than random...
Old 10-25-2004, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hands were close to random, I saw everything from 55 to 94s to Arag o to K rag o...I'd asy slightly better than random...

[/ QUOTE ]
You should loosen up considerably against opponents who are playing garbage for 5 bets preflop as compared with opponents who are going to get involved only with good, speculative, or premium hands. As a first approximation, my guess is that you should play hands that win more than 20% against 5 random opponents. Par is 16.7%.

At this threshold, play A9o, A2s, KTo, K6s, QTo, Q8s, JTo, J8s, T8s, 98s, and pairs down to 66. You may want to be slightly tighter in early position, and slightly looser in late position, but position will not mean much when so much money goes in preflop.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AA-TT, AKs, AQs, AKo.

I think that's about it. Maybe add in 99, 88, 77 and AJs if they're crazy postflop also.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 PM

Those were my thoughts, esp for suited connecters. In fact, I played 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s from the button and hit 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s plus a 5 on flop against 4. Stuck around for 11 "good outs" but didn't hit and easy fold on river...

Good gamble, or stupid play??? My guess is ~ b/e EV...

K