Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 06:12 AM

Default My hand keeps improving, but I\'m not sure how much I like it

I played at my local B&M this afternoon and found myself at a strange table that was loose pre-flop but then turned tight-passive once the flop came. Any bet was a hand, and top pairs and even overpairs were sometimes checked to the river after having been called on the flop. Most hands didn't reach a showdown, and, if you were raised, you could count on being heads-up against at least two pair. I had some trouble adjusting.

So I won some small pots and lost a few bigger ones, and then I headed home and logged onto Party, which is a much different game.

I didn't get many premium starting cards, but I tried to get by with what I had . . .

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

I wish the small blind hadn't raised, but at least we're probably not competing for the same flop cards. And there are a lot of people in.

Flop: (13 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls.

Probably no one has JT. I raise! Now let me see the river for free, please.

Turn: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls.

Well, now I have a pair. The small blind may just have overcards, and possibly that's all MP2 has too. Maybe I don't want the free card after all. I can always check behind on the river, given the chance . . .

River: (13 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Okay, now I've got a straight, so I have to bet again. And when I get check-raised -- well, it's certainly not the first time. I guess I call.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 10-26-2004, 06:17 AM

Default Re: My hand keeps improving, but I\'m not sure how much I like it

"probably noone has 10 J"

Ok why is that - what is a better limping hand than 10 J suited ?

But you have to call - he might be slowplaying a set or an overpair - or he might think you are bluffing. I think you have the odds to call.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:10 AM

For what it's worth, "I guess I call" understates things a bit. There was no way I was folding to the check-raise on the river. (So we agree that I shouldn't.)

I don't know -- I love JTs, more than I should, but I don't get that hand very often. I know most of my opponents will just as eagerly play JTo, but I'm still not going to assume my opponent has it when he check-raises me on the river.

Maybe I should have considered more seriously that one of my opponents had that hand before I raised the flop. I don't know. Raising the bottom-end of a straight draw is not something I usually do. (Well, actually, it's not a hand I usually have.) But I thought it was a good idea to do so in this case, so long as no one has JT. And, in a way, I suppose my flop raise was sort of a protest against my atypical afternoon at the B&amp;M, where I never found an occasion where I thought it was prudent to raise without a made hand.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:51 AM

I like the way you played it, although, while not discounting JT, don't be scared of it either.

Hopefully, MP2 turned over 89.

Would raising the river be too reckless here???
Old 10-26-2004, 10:04 AM

Forget JT. If it's the kind of B&amp;M I play at (and I think it is), you also have to take T6s into account. I'm not saying you should have done anything different, but brace yourself for the showdown.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 AM

Especially because T6 becomes a double gutshot when the 5 hits the turn.

(And no I'm not a proponent of T6s in MP.)
Old 10-26-2004, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would raising the river be too reckless here???

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder about this too. Is there enough chance that I'm ahead to risk a 3-bet? I'm not sure, but I was happy just to call and see a showdown at the time.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Looks fine to me. Folding the river is not an option, but I don't think 3-betting is either.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the responses.

MP2 shows 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and we split the pot.