Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 AM

Default How bad is this?

Party 3-6, I'm in BB with K4o. MP open limps everyone else gone.

Flop is QJ7 two tone. Check-check. Turn 5. Check-check. River 3. Check, bet, call.

-Michael
Old 10-29-2004, 03:40 AM

Default Re: How bad is this?

Mike, I respect you as a player and a poster, but it seems like everyone of yout posts are trying to win a small pot. And my question is always the same: why?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:42 AM

Because the big pots and the normal hands play themselves.

-Michael
Old 10-29-2004, 03:43 AM

Well, you already know my answer. I don't think you are good here 1 in 2 times, so I fold the river.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:47 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think your chances of winning are higher if you bet the turn or river than if you check-call the river.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:49 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Mike, I respect you as a player and a poster, but it seems like everyone of yout posts are trying to win a small pot. And my question is always the same: why?

[/ QUOTE ]

the strategy of picking up small pots becomes important in tighter games, when your preflop edge is reduced. instead of sitting back, taking advantage of their looseness and waiting for a hand, it pays off to take advantange of their tightness and steal some pots. this doesn't have to do with this particular hand or game. it's just how I feel about small pots. I agree with you though, that at Party 3/6 it's just not worth it.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:51 AM

Betting the turn=good. I hate doing it on this type of board though. They always call with a flush draw and then I don't know what to do on the river, but I am more likely to check-fold that river than this one.

-Michael
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 AM

a lot of times when I take a stab on the flop into 1 or 2 players with trash from the blinds, I promise myself that I'll give up. so you could bet the turn and check-fold the river. you're directly getting 2-1 that he'll fold. you don't care about your showdown value or folding the best hand on the river or any of that. it's 2-1 that he folds and that's it.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the strategy of picking up small pots becomes important in tighter games, when your preflop edge is reduced. instead of sitting back, taking advantage of their looseness and waiting for a hand, it pays off to take advantange of their tightness and steal some pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of this. As you said, it's much more important in higher limits (like, alot higher, i'd think) when every other hand is a heads up confrontation.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:55 AM

the only reason I brought that up is because I think he generally plays higher, and because in the 6-max games you play, especially 10/20, it's usually not worth taking a stab because they'll raise you with 23 on an AKQ flop since you're automatically full of [censored]

didn't mean to condescend you