Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 10:37 AM

Default modestly interesting hand

I am in a passive online ring game. There seem to be 3 debatable decisions in the hand (and, against some players, 4), which is why I thought it was "modestly interesting".

I have 9hTc in the cutoff. An early player limps, a middle player limps and a late middle player limps. They all seem to be mediocre at best.

The button is not very aggressive, and also not a star. I call, but the button raises. The BB calls and it's 5 handed.

The flop is 992, with 2 diamonds. The early limper bets out. It is folded to me and I raise.

All fold to the bettor who calls. The turn is an off 6. Flop bettor checks, I bet, flop bettor calls.

River is 7 of diamonds. Check, check.

Comments welcome.

Dan Z.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Re: modestly interesting hand

I think it would be less interesting if you fold PF, which is what you should have done.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:05 PM

Dan,

Yes, I would have played this hand differently.

[ QUOTE ]
An early player limps, a middle player limps and a late middle player limps. They all seem to be mediocre at best.

The button is not very aggressive, and also not a star. I call, but the button raises. The BB calls and it's 5 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The narrative suggests that it's 6-handed rather than five. If there are only 2 limpers when the action gets to you then I think you should have folded preflop. With 3 limpers the decision is closer but I still like folding.

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is 992, with 2 diamonds. The early limper bets out. It is folded to me and I raise.

All fold to the bettor who calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer just calling here after such a favorable flop for your hand. You may induce the button (the PFR) to make a loose call (and he would be probably drawing nearly dead). It also sets up a raise on the turn if the situation is favorable.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn is an off 6. Flop bettor checks, I bet, flop bettor calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

A great card for you. If you had just called the flop you may have been able to get a raise in here.

[ QUOTE ]
River is 7 of diamonds. Check, check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against some players you could bet here. But you were there and know how this opponent plays better than me.

-- Manzanita
Old 10-27-2004, 03:32 PM

I'm surprised everybody so far wants you to fold preflop. I would call there everytime. As far as the flop play, I think its close between raising and calling. I dont think the button can get away from an overpair anyway, and with the flush draw otut here I think it's OK if you want to play it fast.

I usually bet the river in those spots. There are just too many bad players who will call with any pair for me to check agaist an unknown. With the right player information I think checking is fine. Interesting hand.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:57 PM

Preflop: I too call knowing that it is marginal. It is helpful to have guys ahead of you who are prone to lose a lot of chips with second best hands. Even so, your hand ain't all that great. What a difference being suited would make. Guys who say that suited connectors are not much better than offsuit connectors are just cuckoo. I am thinking mostly of McEvoy and Cloutier.

Flop: Raise or smoothcall is fine. I see little to choose between the two.

Turn: obvious bet given the flush draw on board because he may keep you honest with even 33 or Ace high. If the flop was rainbow, you might consider checking the turn in order to save a bet if you are losing to a bigger 9, to induce a river bluff, to allow him to hit an overcard on the river, to make him give you a curiosity call with a weak pp etc.

River: I almost always bet when out of position. I am ironically less likely to bet when in position (as a FTOP error with a losing hand in the latter scenario is twice as expensive as in the former scenario). Having said that, I still usually bet...heh...