Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 07:13 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Another semi bluff hand

Since im exploring this weak part of my game, here's one that i just did. Probably not much to talk about in it. For those that helped me in the other thread.

Full game

UTG+1 limps, button limps, sb completes, i rap with Q6s

Flop 4 2 J r

checked around.

Turn 3 flush draw possible, not for me.

sb bets. He is likely to be taking a shot here as he's done it on prior hands. I raise, UTG calls, button folds as does the sb.

Pretty basic, but I think i got this one right. Finally.

b
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Another semi bluff hand

Tough that you got called by UTG......right spot, right play though.......I guess you autobet the river?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:51 PM

You need to recognize that stealing here is somewhat harder than usual because anyone with an ace (incorrectly) thinks he has a gutshot. That's not enough by itself to make someone call, but the fact that hands with an ace seems to have extra outs make it harder to steal here than if you had Q7 and the board were J345. As long as you were taking that into account (and, obviously, the fact that the pot is small), then it could be raise. It's too opponent-dependent (almost exclusively on the small blind) to be able to say for sure. The pot is so small that anyone other than the SB with an AX hand is probably folding anyway, and since the SB was a blind, he isn't much more likely to hold an ace than any other random card, so the raise seems fine (if the bettor were someone other than the SB, the wheel draw would be more of a concern).
Old 10-28-2004, 08:56 PM

I don't really understand it. You're investing 2BB (and possibly 3 if you follow through on the river) to win 3BB. It has to work very often to be profitable.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to recognize that stealing here is somewhat harder than usual because anyone with an ace (incorrectly) thinks he has a gutshot. That's not enough by itself to make someone call, but the fact that hands with an ace seems to have extra outs make it harder to steal here than if you had Q7 and the board were J345.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the J345 board why would the A be more likely to fold? They'd still see a gutshot.

I thought about it at the time, which then i hadn't decided if i'd fire one on the river if a blank to the wheel missed. UTG was a new player to the table, so i might just fire one and see what they'd call with.

[ QUOTE ]
(if the bettor were someone other than the SB, the wheel draw would be more of a concern).

[/ QUOTE ]

If the sb didn't bet out, I would have.

b
Old 10-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Im just trying out some stuff. In this case, given the sb's tendency, it's also sort of a re-steal on my part.

b
Old 10-28-2004, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the J345 board why would the A be more likely to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oops, you're right. I needed to kick each card up one more rank. The general point was just that stealing becomes harder when there are three cards to a wheel (not including an ace) since it connects with anyone with an AX hand.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general point was just that stealing becomes harder when there are three cards to a wheel (not including an ace) since it connects with anyone with an AX hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. When UTG called, i put him on a mid pair or an A. More likely an A with a paired kicker on the board. I figured just hitting a 6 might be good.

b
Old 10-29-2004, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty basic, but I think i got this one right. Finally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bernie,

Yes, you got this one right, but I need a better description of UTG. I don't see many players chasing a low end of a gutshot with a lone Ace here as the pot is very small. If UTG is loose, I could see him having turned a set of 3's and fearing you turned a straight as you were in the BB.

I would check down the river unimproved. I think you very likely to beat here.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:42 AM

I don't think the UTG had to be that loose to be holding 33 in the mitt. Remember, no one bet the flop.

UTG was new. It did suprise me a bit that he called. The rest of the table, if they held a lone J, would've likely bet the flop. But if they had a smaller pair, they'd likely call the turn bet. They chased enough that an A was possible here also. I figured, given how they played, that even if i hit my 6 it could well be good. UTG could also have turned a flush draw.

I think this was a raise/fold situation. I could be wrong, but i don't see just calling in this spot.

b