Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Step Up 30/60: 3 hands for review

This is my second foray into 30/60. I think I played these hands well but everytime I get full of myself the forum helps to ground me. Judging by my responses lately to posts vs. others posters' responses--I'm playing too tight preflop and too aggressive postflop. Posting my own hands helps to center my play.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed)

Not much on MP3 except he seemed to be a good player but was tilting due to me cracking him his last 3 hands.
Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

================================================== ====

Hand2: No notes on button who open raises. SB folds. I call in the BB with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Flop- J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I CR and he 3 bets. What now?

=================================================

Hand3: I open-raise from the CO with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Only BB calls.
Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet he calls.
Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(I sometimes check here hoping to induce a bluff on the river but this seems like the ideal spot to bet the turn and fold to a CR. I hoped to take it down and not give a free draw to a J or K. Plus a 10 might fold now.)
I bet he calls.
River: blank - Check check.

Comments appreciated.

P.S. Anyone know how to export a hand history OUT of PokerTracker?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Step Up 30/60: 3 hands for review

Hand 1 was played very well.

Hand 2, I could go either way on this (folding or smooth-calling the 3 bet and check-raising the turn. How's your image?

Hand 3, Sometimes bet there, sometimes check. Since you bet and were called, I don't think you can bet the river unless your opponent has a reason to be suspicious and will look you up with a middle pair. Rarely will you have an opponent where this is a value bet though.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:33 PM

The first hand was played well the only think is im against the hand ace jack but you were in the big blind and you said you had the guy on tilt. The second hand i never would have checked raised i would have either bet or check fold a pair of threes is played to make the set and since you missed your opponent can have any poket pair a jack or a six. Even if he only has two high cards he has to have some sort of runner runner which makes him 25% cahnce to win which will makes some idiots call. I think the last hand was played the best, but im a little biased because ill play 8-10 suited before i play ace jack off suite
Old 10-21-2004, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2, I could go either way on this (folding or smooth-calling the 3 bet and check-raising the turn. How's your image?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good. I was getting many strong hands preflop that won at showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3, Sometimes bet there, sometimes check. Since you bet and were called, I don't think you can bet the river unless your opponent has a reason to be suspicious and will look you up with a middle pair. Rarely will you have an opponent where this is a value bet though.

[/ QUOTE ]
On Hand 3, after he called the flop I thought the Q on the turn made it very unlikely that I could win the hand - and I considered checking the turn and NOT calling a river bet.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 PM

If the button was a thinking player, I like your checkraise in hand 2. He probably called you with overcards, and taking your check for weakness, he bet. And you caught him. However, since he didn't reluctantly call, or dissappointedly muck, I'd put him on JT or JQ and fold. Maybe call this for image purposes but lay it down on the turn? (Unless of course you hit your 3, obviously.)
Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 PM

I'd be absolutely shocked if the button has a J here. Could be a pocket pair (either over or under) or it just as easily be a decent Ace.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:01 PM

When they make this 3 bet on the flop they're usually hoping to pick it up immediately or get excessive action. What do you think of capping the flop to try to cause him or her to make a huge error by folding?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:13 PM

The problem with capping is that a lot of players in this game are pretty stubborn. If he has a hand like AQ or 88, he just might decide to take it to showdown. If hero has a good enough image he should be able to get most hands (i.e. everything except a J, an overpair, or maybe TT) to fold to his turn checkraise. A turn checkraise more plausibly represents a J IMO. If he checks behind on the turn, you can be pretty sure he has either AA/KK or overcards, and can value bet accordingly as he is likely to pay off with Ace high. He will bet and fold almost any pocket pair on the turn and will often do the same with A-high.

I think the execessive action angle is somewhat less likley here since hero didn't 3-bet preflop. Much more likely he's value betting a PP or laying down some heat with overs.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The second hand i never would have checked raised i would have either bet or check fold a pair of threes is played to make the set and since you missed your opponent can have any poket pair a jack or a six.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting out isn't bad - if you're going to call down, imo. But I don't like betting out and folding to a raise. I would much rather check-call and let him draw to his 6-outer if he has overcards. But I think a CR is even better because he may fold a hand like Q10 right there. Or he may take one off and fold the turn unimproved. It would be pretty rare that he would raise again on the turn with just overcards.

I certainly wouldn't check fold the flop- it's probable that I have the best hand.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed)

Not much on MP3 except he seemed to be a good player but was tilting due to me cracking him his last 3 hands.
Preflop: Hero is BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

================================================== ====

Hand2: No notes on button who open raises. SB folds. I call in the BB with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] .
Flop- J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I CR and he 3 bets. What now?

=================================================

Hand3: I open-raise from the CO with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . Only BB calls.
Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet he calls.
Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(I sometimes check here hoping to induce a bluff on the river but this seems like the ideal spot to bet the turn and fold to a CR. I hoped to take it down and not give a free draw to a J or K. Plus a 10 might fold now.)
I bet he calls.
River: blank - Check check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1: My Ace is good. Opponent had KJ
Hand 2: I four bet the flop and my opponent folded.
Hand 3: Check Check on the river and his A7 is good.