Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Boring AK hand

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Button is a tight/aggressive player. Seems to play pretty well post flop.

Preflop: Irishboy is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Irishboy calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Irishboy checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Irishboy calls.

Turn: (8.33 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Irishboy checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Irishboy calls.

River: (10.33 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Irishboy bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.33 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.33 BB, between Irishboy and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (12.33 BB).</font>

I put him on JJ or QQ (most likely) AK or AQ. I bluffed on the end hoping he might fold if he also had AK or AQ. Comments?

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Irishboy has Ks Ah (high card, ace).
Button has Qc Qs (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Button wins 12.33 BB. </font>
Old 10-24-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Boring AK hand

I suppose it would be a bluff if he you were trying to get him to fold another AK, but against AQ it would be a value bet and against any of his other possible holdings it would have almost no chance of working. If you want to bluff the river in this situation with any possibility of actually having it work, you MUST checkraise bluff, not bet out.

If he checks behind, thats too bad, but he won't be folding anything that has you beat to a bet there.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:35 PM

I prefer to cap preflop and keep firing. This is the best way to win the AK vs AK battles when nobody hits.

I don't see any way he folds AK or AQ given the way the hand has been played, but I think the river bet is good if you were planning on calling his bet.

-Michael
Old 10-25-2004, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to cap preflop and keep firing. This is the best way to win the AK vs AK battles when nobody hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he has to have exactly AK for this river bet to be correct.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:33 AM

You have a tight/aggressive player re- raising preflop. What range of hands do you put him on? You say in your post that you put him on JJ or QQ and yet, you still bet the river in "hopes" he might have A,Q or A,K? I think you need to rethink your play a bit here.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2004, 01:46 AM

No. Definitely not true. If hero is planning on calling a river bet if he checks, unless he thinks this guy is so weak that he will check JJ or something, he should bet anyways. This way he also collects calls from AQ which his opponent will check behind. And perhaps he gets a miraculous fold from another AK.

-Michael
Old 10-25-2004, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Definitely not true. If hero is planning on calling a river bet if he checks, unless he thinks this guy is so weak that he will check JJ or something, he should bet anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like a really simple case of 'no worse hands are calling and no better hands are folding.' The only exception to this is, as I said, when he's against another AK, which isn't the case often enough.

edit - I also don't think AQ calls enough here.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:29 AM

It's not that simple. If you were planning on calling a bet anyways, your bet is correct even if you win very infrequently, assuming your opponent won't raise.

-Michael
Old 10-25-2004, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that simple. If you were planning on calling a bet anyways, your bet is correct even if you win very infrequently, assuming your opponent won't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see how that concept applies here. Can you explain it further?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:51 AM

It is a big and rather unrealistic assumption to make: that an opponent who is crazy/aggressive enough to bluff/value(?)bet a worse hand such as AQ/AJ/etc. at this river is, at the same time, not crazy/aggressive enough to bluff raise a bet by AK.

However, assuming this assumption to be true, a bet here is clearly correct if, and only if, you were planning to call a bet in the first place. I hope you now see why this is obvious. Since you are committed to spending a single bet in this spot, and since you have absolutely no worries of being placed in a spot to risk more than one bet (opponent will not raise), you're better off betting and gaining a bit of folding equity - no matter how insignificantly slight - from a better hand such as, say, a small to medium pocket pair.