Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 AM

Default I feel like I\'m playing too tight

I've been trying to break into the MTT scene. I've played in maybe about 15 so far and have cashed in one (4 out of 700) where I have gotten good cards throughout, but haven't really come close in the others.

I play on Pacific Poker, so PT isn't compatible (maybe i should switch sites), but I feel like I am only seeing the flop on less than 10 hands for the first hour, so the blinds are always eating at me. It gets me so frustrated that when I finally get a playable hand, I play it overly aggressive or am already in all-in fold mode because of the blinds. Also, after I haven't seen a flop in about 2 orbits, I might try to steal the blinds with a 3xbb open from cutoff or button, but that never seems to work.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can keep my head in the game? More importantly what type of starting hands should I be willing to limp with in mid and late position? Early in the tourneys everyone loves to see the flop and people will raise to 2-3xBB from early position with pretty much any two face cards or any pockets (and will get called by a number of people). Should I even bother trying to steal blinds in these loose tables?

In these tourneys, stacks start at T800 and blinds start at 10/20 going up every 10 or 15 mins depending on the tourney. I usually get knocked out after blinds jump from 25/50 to 50/100 or 50/100 to 75/150 cause I am almost always shortstacked (~10xbb or less) at that point.