Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Default How Badly Did I Play?

10/20 HE

I just won a nice pot and decided to fill my oats UTG with Ts,9s. I limp and the next guy raises, two fold & MP calls, everyone else folds and three 3 see the flop with $70 in the pot (this is a home game raked pot $5)

Flop: 2s, 8h, 7c Rainbow :-)

I ck, UTG1 bets and MP2 raises, I call, UTG1 re-raises, MP2 & I call.
$160.00 in the pot.
Now, MP2 may have slowed down on the cheap street with a set, but UTG1 can't have more than an overpair. It's not his style to raise preflop in early position with 8s or less............of course, it's also not my style to limp UTG with T9 suited.

Turn: Js giving me the straight & a flush draw on the board.
I bet, UTG1 calls & MP2 folds.

River brings another 7 pairing the board and I check as does UTG1.

How badly was it played?
Well, to begin with, my style of play in this type situation warrants a bet on the flop. I like my reputation to be one of betting out in 1st position with both made and strong draw hands. That may have saved me the re-raise; also may have cost me more if MP2 decided his pair is not worth 2bets cold
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Re: How Badly Did I Play?

I'd checkraise the turn, lead the river and call a raise.

Ponks
Old 10-18-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: How Badly Did I Play?

Hi Rogue,

[ QUOTE ]
(this is a home game raked pot $5)

[/ QUOTE ]
Why such a high rake? You guys must booze it up a lot?

Anyhoo, I find your play to be too timid. Did you consider raising with 10-9s UTG? You said yourself that you wanted to fill your oats. What better way than to surprise them all? Of course, you need to know when to let this go. If you wanted to mix it up, be the aggressor, not the limper. Otherwise, dump it.

On the flop, I think you did fine. Another way to play this may have been to cap the betting. You have a nut-straight draw with the backdoor flush along with two over cards. Granted, some of your outs are bad, but if you expect to play a hand from UTG like 10-9s by limping, might as well make the best of it.

Bet the turn and the river. No reason to slow down on the river. If villain filled up and raises you, call the raise. So be it.