Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Did I play this as poorly as I think i did?

5+.50 MTT Long way from money
Blinds = 25/50

I'm dealt A9o on button, best hand I've seen in 3 orbits

UTG (T700) Limps
CO (T2500) Limps
Hero Checks
Everyone else folds.

Flop A 8 5 rainbow.
UTG checks, CO Bets 50, Hero Calls, UTG calls

Turn 3
UTG checks, CO Checks, Hero Bets 50, Everyone Calls

River 5, No flush possible.
UTG Checks, CO Bets T300, Hero Folds, UTG Folds

No reads...was just moved to table.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Did I play this as poorly as I think i did?

I'm not sure how you can check from the button??

For me this is an easy muck pre-flop. I will play A9 if I'm first in but I'm not playing it behind 2 limpers. AJ and AT are common limping hands.

On that flop when CO bets I'm putting him on an Ace, so now you can beat only A7, A6, A4 A3 and A2, and on the turn A3 went away. I thinkyour laydown on the river is the right play, but I think you threw away 150 chips getting there.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Sorry, I meant limped from button, I started typing with me in BB then remembered that I was button.

Wouldn't there be a strong possiblity that the CO was trying to steal the pot cheaply with 2 small stacks in front of him with pretty much any flop?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:33 PM

Tough to tell with no reads, but I think if he was trying to steal he would probably bet more than the minimum in that situation IMO.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:57 PM

Absolutely there is a chance, but the problem is your hand isn't very strong if he isn't bluffing. Thats the problem with playing a mediocre ace behind limpers. If you thinkhe's bluffing then you need to raise the flop around the size of the pot. IF he's on a stone cold bluff he'll fold, but if he calls you're done with the hand and out some more chips. I prefer to wait til I have a stronger hand, If I had AQ or something here I'd feel better about raising.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM

Thanks. I think one of my main problems is if I'm not getting cards for a while, and I finally get a top pair iffy kicker, I feel like I'm never gonna get another chance. I guess it all comes down to the whole "cards happen" philosophy.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:10 PM

You don't mention your stack size. If you have 3K in chips you can take a shot and try and flop trips or 2 pair, but I still think I fold A9 behind limpers. I'd play it if it was suited, but proceed very carefully if the Ace flopped.

I actually love getting to see flops cheap on the button, but I like to look for hands that are easy to get away from or are unlikely to be doninated. Suited cards or connectors where you can bust someone who flopped top pair. WHen you haven't played a hand in a while, wait until you can be first in if you want to play a so-so hand. You might just take it down because you seem so tight. Give yourself more than one way to win the hand.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:32 PM

seems like you just got into a situation that you have to evaluate for yourself.

i personally hate when i'm involved in a hand, where I feel that I don't have a good enough hand to raise-cause typically when you're in this situation, you're behind and trying to catch up.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:59 PM

frankly i am amazed how often i see players call away their whole stack with hands like A9. just last night it happened to me, when I had AQ and was called with A8, Axx flop and he actually did call away his entire stack. the problem with hands like your when there are limpers in front is that better aces will often limp. what flop are you happy to see with A9? maybe A-9-x but thats about it. first in, fine to play. with two limpers easy fold unless you know you can steal the pot if rags flop and you are good enough to fold if an A comes and you are bet into. sort of like playing a small pair smal kicker in stud.

Pat