Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Can I get away playing top pair this way?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (17 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Should I have raised the flop? raised the river? Also, what would you pin on MP1?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Can I get away playing top pair this way?

The flop raise is ok because it may limit the field since 5 people checked it to the CO, and it may get you a free card on the turn. With the blank hitting on the river, MP1 is still willing to bet into you again, so the river call is fine.

I'd put MP1 on a set of 8's or 5's or maybe a scraggly 2 pair. Then again, you could have him dominated...it's so hard to tell when they keep betting and then passively calling your raises.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:36 AM

I put MP1 on Kx. Every once in awhile, you run into a Party player who bets/calls on every street. I say raise the river, most Party 0.5/1 won't 3-bet you unless they made a flush or straight.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:37 AM

i think you raise the river. it's close tho. very hard to put him on a hand by his actions. my best guess is KJ or a crappy 2 pair. flop raise doesnt make sense to me really.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:11 AM

i like the flop raise, as it may give you a free card on the turn, and you may be able to limit the field to improve the chances of a turned top pair winning. good raise on turn. you have tptk, bet it! i would consider raising river, but most likely i would just call, because this guy played so strangely that i have no idea what he has.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:52 AM

Nice hand. Nice turn raise.
If CO had called, you might raise the river. You almost certainly have him beat. But heads up, I don't think there's as much value. Then again you likely won't be 3-bet except by a monster.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:18 AM

I think its a great raise on the flop - its a big pot and you want to protect your hand as best you can - forcing the whole field to call 2 cold is perfect IMO.

It's worrying that MP1 wakes up on the turn, but I still raise - your hand is best here a significant amount of the time (although MP1 looks like 2 pairs, and what is the CO still calling with..flush draw?)

Since MP1 continues to show aggression on the river I agree you should call... no way you can fold for 1 bet here, but since you are likely beat, I wouldn't raise.

Now to read the other replies to see how wrong I am...
Old 10-14-2004, 07:24 AM

You played the hand very well! A river raise is very close, any reads would decide it here for me, but given no reads the call is good IMO.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
flop raise doesnt make sense to me really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop raise is beautiful. The pot is big and you have a lot of outs which gives you the odds. Furthermore your outs are vulnerable and needs protection. The raise will give anyone with A or K + paired rag unfavourable odds.

I can't see what MP1 could have making his play reasonable. Not raising KJ pre-flop is a crime, Kx should fold pre-flop, a set/2-pair should bid/raise the flop and 3-bet the turn. He could have anything and you are probably better. Raise the river!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not raising KJ pre-flop is a crime

[/ QUOTE ]

Do others agree with this? In early middle position? Maybe I am too tight, but I am calling here, or folding if the table is tough