Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 04:02 AM

Default FL vs. NL?

I´m sure someone posted this before, but I didn´t find what I wanted so I give it a shot here.

I´m playing low-limit hold´em (3/6$) for the moment. And for now I´m not doing to well, but Iv´e only got about 200hours at this level so it´s hard to tell so early.

But in later days Iv´e started to think about NL. It feels that the good player have a bigger advantage over the bad one, cuz you can decide x-actly how much you wanna bet. And therfore give them bad odds on drawing hands and soo on.

But I guess there would be a lot of changes to do If I would convert to NL. So therefor I wanna know if it´s worth it.

First, do you make more moeny in NL than in FL? Maybe hard question, but if you compare a limitlevel to a NL level, where do you make more $$? Like 3-6$ would be compareable to 50NL or 100NL, or am I wrong? And wheres the most fish? I think Limit, but that just a guess.

How much can a decent player make in 200NL? How would partys higher blinds effect your winrate?

And what about swings? It´s lower swings in NL right?
The reason I´m thinkin about this is because for the last 2 weeks Iv´e made about even moeny. That would say a losing streak. Of course that happends in NL to, but a believe the blinds compared to the implied odds that you have makes your growth a lot steadier (lesser swings), Am I wrong?

But then If you look a little higher on th "ladder" I guees you can make more in a 100-200$ limit game than in the bigger NL games that are offered.

I havent looked around that much but I havent seen that many players above 200NL, so I would like to be able to make some good $$ If I would convert. If I stick with Limit I would probably climb my way up to 15-30$ at least. And multitabling this level, lets say 2 tables, you can easily make 60$/h. So how hard is it to make this much in NL?

I also wondering about multitabling, how many tables do you guys play at, lets say 200NL and above? I guess you arent able to multitable as much in NL as in limit. Cuz one mistake could be fatal.

I guess this was a lot of questions, but I appreciate all the answers I will get. Maybe someone else gone from Limit to NL and can tell me about it.

//Jc.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: FL vs. NL?

Why would you think swings are lower in NL?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:12 PM

There's a good article this month on cardplayer.com about the differences. I'll add this:

In limit, a bad laydown is worse than a bad call. In no limit, it is exactly the opposite. Understand why before you even think of playing no limit.

--

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I´m thinkin about this is because for the last 2 weeks Iv´e made about even moeny. That would say a losing streak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or maybe you aren't as good a player as you think and you were lucky. Remember that the "average" player loses money, due to the rake.

As a test of your self-assessment ability, would you say your ability with the English language is above or below average? (Hint: according to what you've displayed in this note, it is well below. But I see that your location is listed as "Sweden" so perhaps it is a second language for you, in which case you are doing pretty well.)
Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a good article this month on cardplayer.com about the differences. I'll add this:

In limit, a bad laydown is worse than a bad call. In no limit, it is exactly the opposite. Understand why before you even think of playing no limit.

--

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I´m thinkin about this is because for the last 2 weeks Iv´e made about even moeny. That would say a losing streak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or maybe you aren't as good a player as you think and you were lucky. Remember that the "average" player loses money, due to the rake.

As a test of your self-assessment ability, would you say your ability with the English language is above or below average? (Hint: according to what you've displayed in this note, it is well below. But I see that your location is listed as "Sweden" so perhaps it is a second language for you, in which case you are doing pretty well.)

[/ QUOTE ]

First I do understand the difference between the above stated. And if you dont know in Sweden most of us talk swedish, therefore aren´t my english perfect. And the reason I´m posting here isn´t to improve my grammar, but to improve my pokerskills. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM

Q.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A.

Because they are
Old 10-15-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A.

Because they are

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know. I'm new to NL and my first instinct would say that they're bigger. Can you explain why that's an incorrect assumption?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:34 PM

Assuming that you are a winning player overall (a key assumption), I suspect that:

1) In no-limit, your biggest winning and losing sessions will have the highest magnitude than in limit.
2) In no-limit a higher percentage of your sessions will be winning ones than in limit.