Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Making Players Pay Attention at Home Games

I play in a weekly home game. The problem is that at least 3 of the usually 8 people playing do not pay attention to paying blinds or when it is their turn to act. This has become a huge annoiance to me because I have been forced to yell at these players to make them aware that it is their turn to act or post blinds, and they don't seem to be catching on. These players arn't new to the game, they just don't seem to pay attention. Has anyone had a situation similar to this, and or does anyone have any suggestions on how to make these types of players pay attention to the game? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Making Players Pay Attention at Home Games

Appreciate and take advantage of their inattentiveness. Just give them a nudge and say, "Five bucks to you, little blind." whatever. I play a game with the same problem whenever the Lakers come on, but when there's a fowl or a great shot you know there's money to be made.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:03 PM

I am notorius for not paying attention to the blinds. Not because I am doing something else not game related, but because of a bit of ADD(attention defecit disorder). I'm usually thinking about the last hand or my next strategy. When I start doing it, they just put in my blinds for me. Just like if I was away from the table. You cant miss the blinds in a tourney even if you are away from the table. It goes in the pot. Not paying attention is the same as taking a wiz or whatever. Just put it in for them. If they dont like you touching their stack, tough chips!! Pay attention then dumbarse! Our games are very friendly tho, and this may not work in your game. They have even designated the guy next to me to thro in my chips on my blinds! haha. Just a suggestion.
Forgot the Blind on Accident!! [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 PM

When I play, I am most likely the dealer for everyone anyway. I just say the words "little blind, big blind" as I deal the cards to them. No one get mad, since I always say it. And I deal so fast that my cards beat the blinds to the table in most hands so I say it to prevent someone else saying it and getting under people's skin.

Ten
Old 10-05-2004, 11:08 PM

Find another game. You will make yourself crazy if you continue to play with these people.

One home game that I've played in for over 10 years has 4 or 5 of these guys. The game is more about getting drunk and shooting the [censored] then it is about poker for most of these guys. It has driven me crazy for years. They're good friends and it's usually a very profitable situation for me, but the poker is torturous. Last time I played with them, we literally got in 12 hands in 2 hours!

Luckily I've found another game where most of the players have a clue (there's still a couple guys who Hollywood and lolli-gag a bit much), but the game in general is much more efficient. It is poker heaven. We probably get close to 40 hands an hour dealt.

You have to accept that your slow players have a completly different reason for being there than you do. If you can't accept the game for what it is, get out, because you will not enjoy the night and you risk damaging friendships.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:22 PM

Paying blinds, we remind people.

Folding out of turn you get 1 warning. 2nd time and after, you donate $$ to the pot.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:31 AM

A game I played in recently had people not ever posting their blinds. This is because they never knew what the blinds were and had to ask. We also had people betting 25 when the blinds were 200-400 and check calling with the nuts. Gotta love people that play poker and have NO IDEA what they are doing.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:34 AM

My strategy is to get really upset after a few hours of this same thing and just fume inside, then tell the players that if they miss their blinds again I am going to punch them in the face. They of course continue to forget and I of course don't punch them in the face. I guess this wasn't very helpful at all.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Raise the stakes!?

Is it possible that the stakes of your game are not big enough? I found that by raising the stakes, people pay a lot more attention!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 PM

cattle prods and foghorns are cheap fun. foghorns affect everyone however.