Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 07:14 PM

Default AJs in SB 15/30 Party

Would anyone play this any differently, if so why. PartyPoker 15/30 10 handed. No reads, only my 2nd hand at the table. Hero is SB.

Folded to MP2 who raises, 2 folds, CO calls, button folds, Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) calls, BB 3 bets, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

(12 sb) FLOP: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)

Hero checks, BB bets, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero folds

Anyone fold (or reraise) this preflop, anyone take a card off here? If so please let me know why as I would like to understand the thought behind those plays. Thanks?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: AJs in SB 15/30 Party

I would say fold preflop. If an A comes on flop you have a good chance of being beaten (assuming normal raising standards but even on 15/30 Party you could be looking at AQs) and if a J comes you could still be up against AA, KK, or QQ. That may be pretty tight but so be it.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Default my thoughts

Folding was my first thought as well, but when I looked a little closer I was getting 85-20 (100-20 if the BB calls) to call. Unless I am up against AA (which I may be) I think that my call is okay. I'm not sure if this is correct or if I talked myself into a bad call.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

1: call
2: reraise
3: fold

in that order
Old 10-08-2004, 09:02 PM

you prefer reraising to folding? I would consider 3-betting only if I knew the better was pretty aggressive, and I had position so I could get it heads up. You will miss the flop so often here that being out of position makes it extremely difficult to play. I would only do this if I had a great read on the player.

I fold this PF. The times you run into a dominating hand are way too often, and the times you catch your 3 outer against him, you will not get paid off enough to make up for the money you lose in all the other situations.

-DrG
Old 10-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Since this was an open raise from MP, you will not be dominated very often. In fact, you may dominate him (AT/KJ/QJ, etc). It's also very likely you are in a coinflip situation. But since there was a cold caller in between, you have no chance of getting this heads up so I would just call and invite BB in as my hand plays decently multi-way. I would not fold unless I had a read that MP was a very tight raiser.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:36 PM

I assume that you're replying to Astroglide, since the guy you replied to never said anything about liking a re-raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this PF. The times you run into a dominating hand are way too often, and the times you catch your 3 outer against him, you will not get paid off enough to make up for the money you lose in all the other situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go out on a limb and say that Astro has half a million hands disagreeing with all of this.

~D
Old 10-09-2004, 06:36 PM

haha true, and I know full well astroglide is a very winning player and I respect is his plays very much - however, I am curious as to his "standard" play when the flop comes 48Q rainbow. bet/call a raise + checkfold a missed turn? check/raise + bet turn? I would love to hear how astro can make this play profitable.
-DrG
Old 10-09-2004, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha true, and I know full well astroglide is a very winning player and I respect is his plays very much - however, I am curious as to his "standard" play when the flop comes 48Q rainbow. bet/call a raise + checkfold a missed turn? check/raise + bet turn? I would love to hear how astro can make this play profitable.
-DrG

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly. What is your standard play when you have

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

and the flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] against 5 opponents?

The answer is ... it doesn't matter since it has nothing to do with whether KK is a profitable hand.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:10 PM

I think I see your point Nate, thanks. However - that is a fairly different situation, isn't it? KK will "hit" the flop way more often than AJs, and therefore is much more easy to play..right? I would like to see a more in depth analysis of post-flop play here, if anyone would be willing to show it.
-DrG