Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 06:10 PM

Default I play weak in a big pot because my hand is weak. This can\'t be right

Every player here is loose passive.

How many mistakes do I make here?

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

A lot of action. My and my crappy cards want in on it.

Flop: (11 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

I think my 7 is probably good right now, but that can't last. I don't want to let the field draw out on me, but anyone with a hand to draw on is sticking around, and probably correctly so. I'm thinking very weak, but well, my hand is very weak.

Turn: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

What do you know? One of the 4 cards left that don't hurt me showed up. I still play like a timid little drawing fish.

River: (12 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 12 BB

I gotta protect this hand or drop it, I hate how I played this.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: I play weak in a big pot because my hand is weak. This can\'t be right

If you need to protect your hand, it's weak and chances are it won't be good for long. You need to come out and bet the flop - and you actually WANT to get raised by someone relatively soon...knock as many people out of the hand as you can.

The fact is, just calling here is going to be a bad move most of the time - the turn or river are going to bring danger cards, and you're going to be in trouble because you're not going to know if anyone hit...

You should bet the flop, see what happens, and take it from there.

Ajax
Old 10-09-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: I play weak in a big pot because my hand is weak. This can\'t be right

I think going for a c/r on the flop to protect your hand is reasonable here. MP3 raised preflop. Hope it's checked to him and he bets. Raise it and force the guys in between to call two. Of course, the BB ruined this plan here, but I think it's your best chance to protect a weak hand in this pot.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:01 PM

You shouldn't have even called the raise pre-flop to begin with. Most of the callers on the flop probably had straight draws or flush draws. Since none of those came in, you could have the best hand, but it is unlikely. Someone probably had a five or eight, or maybe a seven with a better kicker.