Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 01:10 AM

Default should I have folded AQ?

3/6 game at paradise. I don't have the histories, but here's some shots I took. I am having trouble reading players, and I don't know what to do in each situation. Please help!! LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Problem #1 Raise or not to raise.

Problem #2 What to do now?

Problem #3 What to do?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:31 AM

Default Re: should I have folded AQ?

#1) I'd almost say fold as you're out of position, but being limit I'd just call. I only reraise with 2 hands, AA and KK. *shrugs*

#2) Call, you're getting odds to hit that K for nut straight.

#3) Fold. One of them has the K, and if so you're drawing dead.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 AM

1. No raise as you are not going to get anyone active to fold as they have all put money in and would be correct in calling your raise. This means you would have to hit your hand making either a pair of queens or aces. You are 3-1 against doing this and you do not need to make the pot bigger to keep the other's chasing. Moreover, many players limp AKo at the lower limits which means you may be losing never mind winning!

2. Call you are getting the correct pot odds to chase your inside straight draw.

3. One of your opponent's is bluffing he has a king and the other one has it. Someone may even have a straight. I think the action tells you that you are beat unless you know the two players to be wild bluffers.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:48 AM

You would probably get a lot more responces if you posted this in the Small Stakes forum.

Hand #1) - Probably not the best place to raise. If it was 3 or 4 handed I would definately raise but with 7 players in, you'll have to make your hand to win it and a raise will give everyone the odds on later streets to stay in and insure that someone does beat you (if you miss the flop).

Hand #2 - (Same hand as above . . and I see that you didn't raise pre-flop) Call obviously as I think you should rarely fold a hand (if already entered) to a single bet. But my question would be how did you get into this situation. Did you check-raise or did the Big Blind and someone else show all the aggression. If I was in this situation I wouldn't be check-raising. You like this flop but you shouldn't love it, and a check-raise wouldn't have narrowed the field down any either. My quess is that you didn't . . . but just found yourself in a pot that quite a few others seemed to like a lot. The only saving grace is that you will at least close the action on that street (ie. no one else can re-raise).

Hand #3 - FOLD. Are you going to be happy if the river is a Q . . not likely. An Ace . . nope. You led out got raised and then re-raised, either they both have a K or one's bluffing and the other is not but either way there is a st8 draw, flush draw, trips, a boat and quads all possible on the table at this point to your 2 pair. Fold it and be done with it (or re-raise and live on the wild side - lol).

my 2 cents

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] busguy
Old 10-06-2004, 06:33 PM

<font color="blue">EXAMPLE #2 </font>above shows a little $72 in the upper middle section. I am getting 7:1 odds (72/9 = 8; 8-1=7). But a gutshot draw is 11:1, so how am I getting the correct pot odds to chase the inside straight draw ? Is it because i am relying on implied odds? thanks for all your input.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:57 PM

When the betting comes back to you, you are getting 72/3 for the one extra bet. 20+ : 1 seems like pretty good odds to me.

busguy
Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 AM

In the first hand, you should not raise there, because you make the pot big, and tougher for you to win if you do make a hand. However, raising is not such a bad play, since you likely have the best hand before the flop. You need to call the raise getting 17-1. Thats almost the odds of flopping 2 pair or better, plus if the reraiser has KK or QQ, you have a fighting chance.

In the second hand, no matter what the action before that, you are beat, someone has at least trip Kings, if not a straight or a full house. I would imagine you are drawing nearly dead between the raiser and the reraiser. Its time to fold.

FTI, you should post this in the small stakes forum, as it is more likely to be read and get responses.

Best of luck
Old 10-08-2004, 01:45 AM

OK. Let me see if I understand exactly. If i bet, and the pot is say $15. i'm getting 5:1 pot-odds. Say there are two other players in with me. If I bet, he calls, that's 6:1, the next guy raises. When it comes back to me do I

A&gt; ignore the initial bet I made, and just consider it "one more bet to go"? giving me 9:1

B&gt; consider both of my bets? Then the pot odds would worsen and be 4:1.

What you're saying sounds like (A). Am I right?

[ QUOTE ]
When the betting comes back to you, you are getting 72/3 for the one extra bet. 20+ : 1 seems like pretty good odds to me.

busguy

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-08-2004, 02:17 AM

It's A.

Money's in the pot, not yours any more.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 AM

but I am still paying more money just to see the next card. Doesn't that count. $3 to see the turn card or $9. Am I looking at it the wrong way? If so - i've been doing it for quite some time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]