Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 AM

Default losing money on the river

I play what I think is a decently tight game on poker stars.
Here is an example where I typically get burned.

I have an AsKs
7 other people see the flop with me.

Flop is

7cAhKd

I'm overjoyed...I raise and ends up only 3 people see turn.
8c

I raise. 1 guy calls.
4h

Now here is where I typically lose all my money. This guy has typically been loose so we start getting into a raising war, I can't stop cus I figure I have the best hand...cus he didn't act like he had anything before and I think the probability of him catching anything with that 4 is so low he must be playing horribly like he always does.

Then I find he is holding pocket 4s. I'm done.

And one hand it will be this terribly loose player that beats me, then the next hand it will be some other loose player...I always get into a raising war with a good hand and lose to these long shots cus so many people are playing

I do win pots, it's just I lose so much money chasing second best hands to long shots.

Is there a way to help this problem, or should I play in a smaller, tighter game to reduce variance (and still play tighter than everyone else.)?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:14 AM

Default Re: losing money on the river

Hey George,
Just keep playing solid poker. If they're willing to call you all the way to the river on that board w/44, they'll make you a lot of money in the long run. As you describe the hand, I would have expected to see A4 many more times than 44. Nice hand.

-Jaran
Old 10-06-2004, 01:22 AM

I have pounded my head on the table many times losing to long shot draws that never should have been there but you can't let it get to you. Play your solid game, raise where you should and be tight aggressive. Keep reading here and and the ton of books out there. And if nothing else practice the fine art of zen when you lose a big pot! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 01:29 AM

When someone gets into a pissing contest with me on the river I assume they have been (improperly) slowplaying a set. Eg: I would put villian on 77 more than 44 in that situation. Usually I will just call down a raise in these situations. I think that saves you money in the longrun.

Some people might disagree with me, but I never like to get into a pissing contest unless I have pretty close to the nuts OR i have a read on villian that tells me he is prone to bouts of insane/stupid agressiveness.

I think getting into betting wars on the river with only 2 pair is -EV.

As for getting sucked out on, we all have seen it. Seriously dude: I have stories that would make your eyes bleed.

One example:
I have AA in LP -- raise preflop 4 callers.

Flop: 2 T A rainbow -- villian bets into me and a raising was ensues (all other fold)

Turn: T -- another raising war

River: T -- I run out of money betting into this guy

He flips over T4 offsuit -- his 1/160 runner runner quad draw beats my aces full. Most insane suckout I have ever seen!

Why am i not upset about this? B/c idiots playing like this is GOOD for me. Learn to love it man! And welcome to the forum.