Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Bluff checkraise in live* play as a no-lose proposition? (long)

Nate and I were talking about this on the way back from Harrah's the other night, and I thought I'd submit it to the committee.

A couple months back I was in a $10-20 game at Harrah's I had TPTK with rags on the board, and an undercard paired on the river. A player I'd pegged as an idiot checkraised me. The pot was big, my hand was strong, but this was one of those live scenarios where it was very easy to fold. I called, thinking it was probably a dumb idea, and the guy flipped over a busted gutshot straight. MHWG, and I just about fell out of my chair that this guy would make that play. Bluff checkraises on the river do not happen in that game.

Well, what happenned? Every time this guy made a semi-decent hand for the next three hours, he had 2-3 other idiots calling him down with crap. If he'd been smart enough to make adjustments, he'd have made a ton profit compared to the 2 big bets he threw at me. Since there are a bunch of regulars in this game, he wouldn't have to repeat this move very often to encourage the same behavior.

Anyway, I was considering this a while back when I pulled it on somebody else; I'd missed my draw but a scare card came on the river, I was heads up with somebody who prided himself on "disciplined" play, so I checkraised, he mucked, and I pulled down a big pot. I also wouldn't have minded if he'd called me, considering the reaction I could expect to future aggressive play with made hands.

These type of scenarios seem like no lose to me, but I have laggy tendancies. Do other players like this line of play in live games*?

*IME, the texture of live play where I am (Chicago/Indiana)is very different from online play. YMMV, but I'd be less inclined to do something like this on Party, where a) it's a lot more common and b) players are more likely to only consider the mathetical aspects of folding a big pot to 1 bet, and c) if caught, other players are more likely to just think "fish," and move to the next hand without much discussion/attention. BTW, I'm taking footnote lessons from the 2+2 editors, what do you think?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Bluff checkraise in live* play as a no-lose proposition? (long)

Anytime you're playing with a semi-regular group who are familiar with eachother's styles, it's good to make an occasional "advertisement." As long as you're not risking a ton of bets to do it., and you know how to properly adjust to your new image.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I'm taking footnote lessons from the 2+2 editors, what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Footnotes are fine as long as you don't keep telling people to read Gary Carson's book.