Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 12:25 PM

Default playing against an LAP in NL

I used to play limit mostly and i loved LAP's b/c i found they were easy to beat and could bring in lots of money. Of course they can crush tables at times and have rocked me before but I always enjoyed having them at a table. However, ive had a hard time adjusting to LAP's in NL b/c of the huge swings they can cause. Im just looking for anyone with advice against beating LAP's in NL with minimal swings. I know this is a very general question but I appreciate any responses or examples anybody is willing to give. thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: playing against an LAP in NL

LAP = loose aggressive passive?

if you're looking for loose-aggressive, it's LAG. i would say the biggest thing about LAGs is that you need to figure out if they're sticky or slippery (my terms). what i mean is if they bet with 3rd pair and they get raised, do they call or fold? this dictates your strategy. obviously, wait for the nuts against a sticky player and choose your spots and bluff-raise a slippery one.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:10 PM

thanks. Yeah, im sorry bout that, i meant LAG. never been too hot with acronymns. Im sure my post made much less sense then i intended.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:39 PM

How about loose aggresive player for LAP.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:05 AM

yeah, LAP is loose aggressive player, i was using Alan Schoonmaker's term but they other guy confused me. even so, anybody have any advice that relates to the playing style against an LAP rather than advice on what accronymns we should use?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:54 AM

i live in la and regularly play in LAG games...took me a while to adjust......had to tighten up and limp with more hands cheap.....eg. in a tough game i would generally raise with KQs or AJs......now i limp.....keeps the pots small until u get the edge.......
Old 09-26-2004, 09:51 AM

Playing against a maniac is easy. Against most Maniacs I treat top pair good kicker as the nuts. I remember winning my first pot of over 1k a few months ago. I only joined the game because I saw a few very weak players playing with very large stacks. A few hands in and I got it all in on the flop with AK on a A J 4 flop. Opponent had A2.

I think you would have to pass up many + EV oportunities to decrease your varience in games like this, just bankroll yourself properly and enjoy the swings.