Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 PM

Default pocket 6s as an overpair to a paired flop

I know this is far from a common enough hand to worry about, but it was weird enough that I thought I should double-check my line. Most of the other players at the table are new, so no reads.

Thanks!

--ArchonsEngine

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

<font color="red">Simple enough here.</font>

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="red">WTF? I have an overpair with my 66..... Strangely, I'm pretty sure this gives me a good chance at best hand, so I'm raising this flop to see where my competition lies, plus I want all overcards to fold. Also, I want the flush draws paying 2 bets or folding.</font>

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="red">With only UTG+1 showing aggression on the flop and then checking here, I'm not afraid of a 9, so I'm going to lead out. If he c/rs me, I'm planning to call down.</font>

River: (8.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.

<font color="red">Don't really need to say anything here, I hope.</font>
Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: pocket 6s as an overpair to a paired flop

absolutely fine. full marks, max value.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 09-21-2004, 11:47 PM

Stsndard play.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
absolutely fine. full marks, max value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! One question, though--does this include the planned response to a turn c/r?

--ArchonsEngine
Old 09-22-2004, 01:39 AM

I had a similar hand today, with pocket nines.

I had an overpair on the flop. EP bet, I raised, one or two callers. Then a Queen fell on the turn, I bet, one fold, two callers. Then a Jack on the river, and I checked it through...

Should you bet again on the river? It was threeway on the river.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:54 AM

this is not a similar hand because Q's and J's are more likely to hit them than 8's and 9's in this example. Microers may be loosey gooseys, but they do fall for those face cards. In this situation an overcard is an inevitability and the 9 was fortuitous where an A/K/Q/J/T would have been trouble.

In your example with 99 and QJxxx on the board, you should not bet if there are 2 players behind you. check-calling may be fine. I think, comments appreciated.

In response to original posters earlier question to me, yes, calling down after a c/r seems like 2BB spent to see if they really limp with overpairs/3x PF. Especially as you weren't 3-bet on the flop.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 09-22-2004, 06:33 AM

Looks solid. When this becomes difficult is when no scarecards fall (no club no straight no AK in this case, you're pretty much guaranteed to see overs) and you don't get bet at, but still lose to something silly like one of the caught overs or trips.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:49 AM

well played.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In response to original posters earlier question to me, yes, calling down after a c/r seems like 2BB spent to see if they really limp with overpairs/3x PF. Especially as you weren't 3-bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; that was the only bit I wasn't really sure about. Assuming I was right to stay in the hand (and I'd have been shocked if I wasn't), I was confident that the line I played was solid. I planned a contingency in case of a c/r, but since it didn't come up, I wasn't 100% sure I'd play that right. Thanks for the confirmation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--ArchonsEngine