Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 08:56 PM

Default I hate red

My question here is about the turn play. On this very connected, very scary board, should I 3 bet the turn?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 09-22-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Re: I hate red

Definately 3bet the turn. It's very likely you're still ahead and if you're not you have alot of margin for error because of your redraw.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:19 PM

What range of hands would CO play in this manner?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:22 PM

I played a hand like this yesterday, but I called the rive bet, and was shown two pairs. I think you should call this river
Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 PM

I really think calling this river bet is out of the question. The pot is too small to justify it.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should call this river

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he/you should bet this river.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:32 PM

i thought about it for a second, but I could put him on so many hands that beat me and not that many that I beat. Really the only hand that I could hope he had was 2 pair. Once I checked I didn't see any way I could call. If the pot was bigger I might have been more inclined to bet (is that good reasoning?)
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 PM

I think he/you should bet this river.

Agreed

do you 3-bet here (turn) against an unknown?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 PM

If I had a read on opponent as aggressive (or "tries" to be "tricky"), I would've gone for a checkraise on the turn. A single turn raise doesn't give you enough information, but a turn 3-bet will. You can easily fold the river then. As you played it, I think you'll be OK with a river bet-fold, or check-fold.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:48 PM

Ive called down in situations very similar, and to my suprise, shown 2 small pair or something of that nature. But Tosh and sublime say bet this river. Is this the correct reasoning for it?

reasoning for betting river
hands like 2 pair will call you for 1 last bet most likely, weak hearts will be afraid to raise and just call, high hearts will raise you in which case you fold. The way your oponnent played makes it look like 2 pair, in which case youll make an extra bet most of the time and sometimes lose a bet. If you were to just check, weaker hands would do the same, but any heart would probably bet and you end up losing a bet the times your behind and not gaining that bet when your ahead. Well?

gamblore