Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 12:48 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default An idea i got from a GoT response....

Something GoT said in a post about smoothing the flop then blasting the turn on them came to mind during this hand.
Anyone play the turn different?

20-40 mucks. slavic just left to the main game so the game is instantly better [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], though short and will likely break.

I open in EP somewhere with QQ.

An aggro calls in LP.

Flop J 4 3 r

I bet, LP raises, i call

Turn 2

I bet, LP raises, i 3 bet, LP calls.

River 6

I bet, LP folds.

Discussion ensues when LP mentions he folded a small set. He thinks i had a str8!?! Guy next to me says, 'Str8!?! He obviously had a set of Js.' He looks to me. I nod.

No way i can see this guy folding a set here. Especially given his read of me having a str8. That's just something one would call just to see it. Even if he thought my image was tight. He hasn't seen enough of my play to make that play and lay down. Not to mention if he saw me as tight, it's highly unlikely i'd have the str8.

I thought it was kind of humorous. He was pretty adamant about his having a set. I just don't see it.

b
Old 09-14-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Re: An idea i got from a GoT response....

If he actually did fold a set then I hope your game didn't break too quickly!

When someone calls a flop raise then bets out on a non-scary turn as you did, to me that often signifies Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! and so it's surprising that he raised you (unless he really did have a set). As such, I'd probably check-raise the turn to get at least two bets out of him. If he 3-bets then I'd go into check-call mode but could not lay this down against anyone who isn't a total rock, and probably not then.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:32 AM

I'm glad to hear you waited until I left the state to jump into the Muck's 20 game. Good work, keep it up.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:37 AM

I think the thread where GoT mentioned this type of play was in something like 'classic moves' or 'common moves' on a table or something. Where he'd do a stop and go just so he could 3 bet the turn since people would think he's weak at first. Fairly recent thread, i think.

b
Old 09-14-2004, 05:39 AM

The mucks 30 game has been looking pretty good also. Pretty much the same dips, but with more money. God only knows what they do for a living to afford playing that limit. Ill wait a bit before jumping into that. Gotta get used to the 20 first.

b
Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mucks 30 game has been looking pretty good also. Pretty much the same dips, but with more money.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my impression of the 30 as well (although I've never played in it, only watched).
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 PM

Yea,

By set does he mean A4 or 77, then yes he folded a set. I love this sort of table talk.

Did the game break.

How have the 10-20 games been. I'm thining of playing sometime this week?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:16 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

The only person I would believe folding a set is Chuck. Chuck does not fit the Agro mold.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 PM

hi bernie

stay out of that game bernie. drop down into the lower limits. read hfap and top. you are going to lose your ask.

bernie, i really don't have time to bring you or anyone else up to the 20-40 level. the very most i can do is give you some idea about whether or not you're there, and if you aren't there yet, try and pull you out so that your losses are tenable. we have fun here, but it is also dangerous out there. when i see the potential of heavy losses accruing, even if it sounds blunt, i must tell you that is what is waiting around the corner. bernie, in the 20-40, you are going to lose a lot of money at this stage of your development. fortunately, you are not as hard headed as most players, and i think you will drop down into the lower limit; and we're talking 3-6 or less bern; put in the study time, and work your way out by the money earned in the 3-6, or through bankroll building tactics. if, however, you can comfortably afford to lose 50k a year without missing a beat, then you might survive long enough to turn it around, or you might reduce your losses to even lower levels. i'm guessing of course, but that's what i think your losses will be in this one. most players will lose way more than that in the 20-40 though; 3 good nights equals at least that for some; i don't rate you there, but i do rate you as needing to hit the books a little harder.

reread hfap and top. work your way out through the lower limits.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:04 AM

Yep. Same egotistical idiots, just with more money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I think some of them play just so they can say they play 30-60. Thank god i'm not the one backing them.

b