Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Default JJ-99

In Hold'Em for Advanced, they recommend not raising jacks in a loose game because it may get you against 3 or 4 opponents. They say to raise in a tight game to avoid having that many opponents. They say the best situation for jacks is to be against one or two opponents or against 5 or more (they will stand up more often against few opponents, and with many you are hoping to flop a set). Therefore they say raising with jacks in a loose game is not a good idea. I believe this is in the loose games section (if anyone wants me to find the passage, I will).
I play at a limit with many different types of players. Some games are loose, some are rather tight depending on who's playing. I have been just calling with jacks through nines when I do not believe I can limit the competition, but raising when I believe I can make it two or three handed.
However, I have just read the new small stakes book, and they now recommend raising with these hands even in loose games and even against 3 or 4 opponents. Which of these seemingly contradicting strategies is correct? I'm starting to believe it's worth pushing your pot equity edge even against 3 or 4 opponents, but is it really wise to 3 bet tens against a large field?
I appreciate any responses.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:19 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: JJ-99

small stakes holdem is correct