Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Trip Report: 1st time B&M/Mirage

Well, I just got back from my Vegas. After playing online for about 9 months, working my way up from .50./1 to 3/6 with my initial $100 deposit (up to $2300) I finally played in my first live games this weekend.
Played about 30 hours in 3 1/2 days and ended up $300 after paying off tips/tokes playing 3/6 at the Mirage.
Games were very soft, equivalent of about 1/2 online. Very nervous when I started but got comfortable in a short period of time.
My defining moment happened Sunday. I sat down about 11am and the table was a mixture of good locals and tourists, mostly locals though. After seeing very few flops the first few hours I was stuck about $160 when the following hand occured.
I limp in EP w pocket 9's, folded around to LAG who calls. Local (best player at the table by far) raises on the button and the blinds fold. Flop comes out Kxx rainbow. I check, LAG checks and local bets. I figure he'd bet w anything, had been stealing alot of pots so I raised to see where I was. LAG cold calls, good player reluctantly shows his card to the dealer and says he's probobly laying down the best hand. Turn comes up another blank, I bet, LAG calls. River blank again, I decide to check, figure LAG probobly has a K but dosn't like his kicker. LAG checks, I show my 9's and he mucks. Local looks at me and says "nice poker play".
After that I get AA twice in a row, win some nice pots and am up $40 all of a sudden. After that local guy and I become very friendly to each other and he stays out of my way for the most part. I later found out from him that he was waiting for a bigger game to start but stayed at 3/6 because it was very profitable. I think he won $400-500 that day.
Poker room at the Mirage was very nice, rarely waited long for a game. Plasma screen TV's all over, good cocktail service and friendly helpful dealer.
Got a poker rate on my room and they were very accomodating, allowing me to check out late yesterday. Rooms were clean but nothing special, will probobly try the Bellagio next time, rooms are much nicer there and the pool is less of a zoo. At the mirage, they have chairs lined up all next to each other, hard to find a spot at all.

Thanks to everyone's advice a successful trip.