Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Poor river play

These are two hands from a recent 5/10 session, where i feel i missed out on 2 extra bets.

10 handed, i get AsTs in mp. One early limper to me, i raise, all folds to the limper who calls. Flop comes 358, 2 spades. He bets, i raise, he calls. Turn is a 7 of spades. He checkraises me, i make it 3 bets, he makes it 4. river is a 3, he bets, i just call this time, he shows down 46, for a straight. damn it.

Another hand, i get 66 in mid-late position, raise it first in, button makes it 3 bets, bb calls. flo is 589 rainbow. BB checks, i check, button raises. BB calls, i make it 2 bets, both call. Turn is a 2 bb checks, i bet, button calls, bb folds. River is a 10, we both check, and i win with 66 over AQ. I feel he would have made a crying call on the river.

Comments?
Old 09-10-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Poor river play

Hey ansky,

Hand 1, raise the river and call the 3bet if it comes. The only logical hands beating you here are pocket pairs, 33 (very unlikely), 55, 77, 88. You got a little scared with the nut flush, and this is one of those situations you can't really back down.

Hand 2 - Why are you check-raising this flop? If you think betting out is a good plan, go ahead, but check-raising gets you 3 bets if you're behind an overpair in this case. Turn is fine, and if you're going to play the hand this way, a bet on the river is almost required, I think.

-Edge
Old 09-10-2004, 03:20 PM

Alright, since no one else seems to want to say anything about this, I will. These 5/10, 6/12, and 9/18 hands have got to go. Post them in the Small Stakes.

GoT
Old 09-10-2004, 03:22 PM

Knew I left something out GoT.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:31 PM

Hand 1: Since you look like an overpair, he has two pair, a set, a str8 or a flush on the turn. Against a tight player, just calling the river bet is probably correct, IMO, since a small to medium pocket pair is a common EP limping hand, whereas 64, T6 or 58 aren't. Since he is loose, putting him on a set quickly is wrong. Still, he did four bet you and lead the river when the board paired, a raise is 2:1. You say you lost 1 BB, but your mistake of course wasn't that bad in EV terms.

Hand 2: I would bet the flop here, this guys seems like he will oblige with a raise. This might force out the BB who likely has other overcards or perhaps 6 or 7 (or 8 which he will fold). You did get them to put in some good $$ with the best hand and a favorite on the flop, so your line works too, but your hand is vulnerable.

I have had some sucess lately betting the river here. Guys do like their overcards.