Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 10:56 AM

Default 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 5 and 6

OK, let’s get one thing straight, right out the box. I’m no expert. I don’t know how I’ve done it so far, I don’t know how I am going to stay profitable in the future. Ever since I have found 2+2, I have been basically out-thought and out-articulated on almost every single important and controversial poker discussion in which I have participated. I am in awe of some of my colleagues, and I can only dream of being on their level someday. What I have is a defined plan of attack, a reasonable opportunity to make good on the plan, and fear of publicly failing that is going to motivate me to follow though on my plan. The stretch from Day 1 to Day 4 has been my most profitable 4 days in a row…ever. What you should take from the first two journal entries thus far is not that I am decent poker player, but that shorthanded poker is incredibly swingy. I am of the opinion that no one can consistently put up the numbers I did over the past 4 days. I don’t expect another run anywhere close to this for the remainder of the challenge…sort of a depressing thought, no?

I promised a sleep mask report – Nothing cool here. The mask did not stay on my face either night. Both days it wound up on the floor, both days I woke up before 7am. My roommate reports I was babbling incoherently in my sleep and tossing around on both nights…the pieces are starting to come together. Jasonholdem dropped some intel for me...I’m going to be trying out a sound (white noise) machine.

I basically held serve over the past two days. Day 5 included the worse swing I’ve had on the challenge, ~ -$2.5k. Fortunately, it was surrounded by two $1.5k upswings. The morning session kicked me off to another solid start with $1139. After that, though, the bottom fell out for a while. No need for details…garden variety bad beats and monster v. monster hands. Sessions 2, 3 and 4 were -$218, -$811.5, and -$663. I planned on playing two short evening sessions, but funny thing is that being down for the day really motivated me to keep pumping away at getting hands in. I put in a 3hour evening session, jumping from around even with 30 minutes to go to a $1152 win. Total for the day was +$598.5.

Day 6 started ugly for once. Session was a lesson in dumping cash to calling stations. I played with two players I am certain will not come back to the 10/20 6max once they finally lose their cash (assuming they don’t cash out). I was directly in front of them on both tables, putting me out of position on basically every hand. It was one of those days where I couldn’t catch a flop and it just never felt good to raise those KJo hands, knowing I needed to catch a hand to win the pot. Session 1 goes for -$695. I got talked into going to see Anchorman, budget-theater style, so my night schedule was a little thrown. I put together a couple of 90 minute sessions beforehand, putting up $895 and $301.17 wins. After the movie, one more 75 minute session put up a $561 victory. Total winnings for the day was $1032.17.

2 Quick Hands

Hand 1: BB is slightly loose-passive. I open from the SB with 88. He calls. Flops is T83 with 2 clubs. I bet and he calls. Turn is the 9d. I check, he bets, I raise, he calls. River is the 9c. I bet, he calls. Worried about the profitability of the turn c/r here. He turned over J7 for turned straight.

Hand 2. UTG and UTG+1 limp, SB completes, and I raise from the BB with JJ (called around). Flop comes 842r. I bet out, UTG calls, UTG+1 (tight-passive) raises, SB calls 2 cold, I call (planning to c/r the turn), UTG calls. Turn is the 9d. Checked to UTG, who bets, UTG+1 (the flop raiser) calls, SB folds, I raise, UTG calls, now UTG+1 reraises. I call and UTG calls. River is the 5d, putting the flush possibility on the board. I check, UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, I fold. UTG+1 had 99.

Sorry to do this, but I have to keep it real for a moment. During one of my Day 6 sessions, one of the players at my table busted out a “That was an easy fold against you fish,” among other derogatory comments. I gave him a little flack for his classless behavior, so he came back at me and disclosed my 2+2 handle and my old Party handle to the entire table (I don’t know if the guy made an educated guess or if he knows someone who knows who I am), and proceeded to dish some back at me. The guy’s handle said he was from Arlington. I doubt he’ll step forward, but I will say people like him, who take joy in doing their little part in making things harder for others and who hate to see others succeed where they fail, are the people that truly motivate me to not fail at this project. I mean…I saw how the 2+2 community at large reacted to Schneids coming up short in his challenge…we have some sort of mutual unconditional respect for each other. That’s cute and fun and all, but it won’t motivate me. What motivates me is knowing I can do something that these asswads can’t do. Knowing that they are sitting there, rooting against me every step of the way, just so they can feel better about themselves when someone else comes up short in the same situation where they came up short…that’s what drives me. Back to the situation…there should be an implication of a desire for secrecy if I choose to use a screen name separate from my 2+2 name. To be totally honest, I don’t really care too much if people know my username on Empire. Am I blowing this little altercation out of proportion? Oh yeah. Who knows…maybe he got me on tilt (though I didn’t feel it and I don’t think my play reflected symptoms of tilt). Maybe that is all he wanted to do. I don’t care though. I am still putting yesterday’s transgressions up on the proverbial locker room bulletin board. I don’t understand you people who can find motivation devices that are better than player hating. Spite is so cool.

PS – I am anticipating some “calm down” responses. I find it necessary to preemptively say that I think the emotional reaction from me was to bear down a little harder, focus at the tables, and make sure I stick to my plan and projections. I’d like to think I can keep myself from trying too hard to make things happen in regards to specific poker play.

I was going to write about fantasy football, but my rant went a little long. I’ll save it for next edition.

Day 5 – Goal: 2500 hands, 10/20 6m
Results: 2574 hands
+$598.50

Day 6 – Goal: 2500 hands, 10/20 6m
Results: 1917 hands (weak!)
+$1032.17

Cumulative results
Goal: 150000 hands (secret modified hand-scoring system)
Days 1-6: 13902 hands (extrapolated: 139020 hands)
Goal: $60000
Days 1-6: $11985.17 ($5985.17 ahead of pace, extrapolated: $119851.70)

Day 7 – Goal: 1500 10/20 6m hands (I’d play something else, but why change something that’s working?). Draft Kellan Winslow in all 3 fantasy drafts conducted today. Watch 2+2 poster Nick B. decimate the final table of UPC Tourney #1.

Day 8 – Goal: 3000 10/20 6m hands (subject to scaling back…I want to play catchup on lost hands ASAP, but can push back the extra hands if need be).

Good luck,

Doug
Old 09-05-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 5 and 6

How many hours on average are you playing per day? I think a lot of people are just jerk offs in general, dont sweat, calm down hehe. If you are having trouble sleeping, get some melatonin, its a natural supplement. When you are ready to fall asleep your body produces melatonin, the pills mock that natural action and helps you fall asleep. They are non-addictive, and not harmful. Search t-mag.com for melatonin for more info. (4 bucks a bottle at the grocery store)
Old 09-05-2004, 01:20 PM

How come there hasn't been any snooping to his level and posting his username here? That's all I'll berate you for. ;P
Old 09-05-2004, 01:26 PM

I bet it was DavidRoss.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet it was DavidRoss.

[/ QUOTE ]

David plays 15/30 party not 10/20 6max.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bet it was DavidRoss.

[/ QUOTE ]

David plays 15/30 party not 10/20 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that is was a joke.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:19 PM

I know. But I was just pointing out it woulda been better if he woulda picked another 10/20 6max player instead.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 AM

congrats on the extra good start, its much more fun to converge to the mean from above.

[ QUOTE ]
I saw how the 2+2 community at large reacted to Schneids coming up short in his challenge…we have some sort of mutual unconditional respect for each other. That’s cute and fun and all, but it won’t motivate me. What motivates me is knowing I can do something that these asswads can’t do. Knowing that they are sitting there, rooting against me every step of the way, just so they can feel better about themselves when someone else comes up short in the same situation where they came up short…that’s what drives me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down. This is not good from a man cool enough not to own a spoon.

chez
Old 09-06-2004, 09:40 AM

It was recently brought to my attention that my choice of words in this section could be misleading...that this quote could look like I am attacking Schneids. Let me set the record straight...I, in no way, shape or form, wanted to imply that Schneids was part of the group affectionately known as haters. Quite the contrary, he and I have spent a ton of time talking poker with one another and he has been nothing but supportive toward my cause. The "asswad" I was referring to was this anonymous sh*ttalker who called me out right on the table...the dude from Arlington.

I realize this may not be too cool of a way to react to such a petty transgression, and my reaction could definitely backfire on me by putting me into some sort of long-term, subtle tilt, but the decision to react the way I did was a reaction motivated by improving my EV for the challenge. I also realize that hating on the haters is no way to live life. I don't plan on dwelling on it outside the ropes.

Doug
Old 09-06-2004, 09:46 AM

I slept on it, and I still can't decide whether or not I should post his name. I fear that players sympathetic to his cause will follow suit with similar attacks on my good name. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

To be certain, his Party name and 2+2 name are different unless he is just a lurker.

Doug