Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Two Great Five Stud Variants

Here are two great Five Stud variants that are relatively unknown but will spice you any home game:

Crocodile Stud (this was invented by David Zanetti, who also invented the game Big River/Mississippi Stud ).

This is 5stud except that you get two hole cards with your initial upcard. At the end, only one of the hole cards is live (and you choose which one).

Choose Your Own

After the first round of betting (everything the same as Five Stud), the upcards for third street are dealt in the center (one upcard for each active player) and the low board gets to choose which upcard he wants, and then the next lowest board chooses, and so on. Then a round of betting. This is repeated until all the active players have four upcards and you then have a round of betting and a showdown. At no point are there more
Old 09-03-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Two Great Five Stud Variants

This is 5stud except that you get two hole cards with your initial upcard. At the end, only one of the hole cards is live (and you choose which one).

So seven card stud without that pesky river card?

Seems sort of pointless, frankly.

(yes, I understand that the up cards would all be in play and have to be used)
Old 09-03-2004, 09:37 AM

Nope, it is not 7stud without the hole card and it is not pointless either. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised...
Old 09-03-2004, 02:26 PM

Crocodile Stud (this was invented by David Zanetti, who also invented the game Big River/Mississippi Stud ).

I played this at my home game a couple of years ago. People liked playing it, but it didn't get chosen often. (Zanetti seems to have taken some of his 5-card variations off his web site. Pity.)

Choose Your Own

After the first round of betting (everything the same as Five Stud), the upcards for third street are dealt in the center (one upcard for each active player) and the low board gets to choose which upcard he wants, and then the next lowest board chooses, and so on.

This sounds really interesting. I'm going to give it a home-game debut in a month or so. Any advice on betting structure? Blinds, antes, bring-ins? L, PL, NL?

My favorites:

Rickey de Laet: roll your own, low hole card wild. (I like this wild card structure in all 5-stud games.)

Three-twist: three one-card draws, usually paid for; played hi-low. This game seems to have been supplanted by Shuck Two: 6-card stud; draw two or none; 8 for low, two pair for high.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:28 AM

Choose Your Own can also be played as 7stud.

I have no advice for you concerning limits, etc as my acquaintance with Choose Your Own is theoretical not having actually played it. Deal out a few hands for yourself and get the feel of it. I think it my favorite 5stud variation.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:13 PM

At my home game we play 5-card stud witht he option to replace one card on the end, high/low declare.