Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 07:20 PM

Default How come some can stand around the tables at the WSOP?

They have a seating area for the crowd, but twice this year I've noticed players standing right by the table:

Once, as Matusow was berating Raymer, some guy was standing behind Matusow and said, "Hes just kidding, you know, right?"

And then when Phil Hellmuth was standing by Doyle after Hellmuth had busted out.

So how come some people get to stand by the tables like that while others have to sit in the seating area?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Re: How come some can stand around the tables at the WSOP?

[ QUOTE ]
They have a seating area for the crowd, but twice this year I've noticed players standing right by the table:

Once, as Matusow was berating Raymer, some guy was standing behind Matusow and said, "Hes just kidding, you know, right?"

And then when Phil Hellmuth was standing by Doyle after Hellmuth had busted out.

So how come some people get to stand by the tables like that while others have to sit in the seating area?

[/ QUOTE ]

the seating area is only for the TV table, in the Matusow/Raymer scenario and the Doyle bustout hand, those were outer tables.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:38 PM

The tables outside of the main "TV" table are all in general areas surrounded by a rail. There's nothing preventing one player from walking over and saying something to a player at another table. And plenty of tables are right next to the rail, where anyone can stand. The bleachers you see are only for the TV table.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:12 PM

ok thanks guys. So if I wanted to, I could go stand behind any of the legends like Doyle just like Hellmuth was doing? I'd never be that obnoxious to do it, but its interesting.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:23 PM

This is a good question, but it can be simply answered.

Know Someone (tourney directors and in the old days a Binion or a Behnen)

Be Someone (as in famous or semi-famous poker player, they used to do whatever they wanted, talk to anyone go anywhere, not much has changed from the looks of things)

Think You Know Someone or are Someone (this is the least effective of the options, but tends to work, and/or will get you a press pass from someone on the staff)

I have personal examples of all three working and allowing literal all access during any of the WSOP events.

I was literally on Moneymaker's lap during some of the final table because I was watching it with Benny Behnen, that gave an all access pass for sure back then.

I ran around with a "famous" poker player and he (along with me because of him) completely ignored all barriers, guards, ropes, etc. and went right up to any table including a final table and chatted with whoever he wanted and no one ever said a single word. Amazing and don't try it on your own.

I also had a business associate/friend sweating me in the main event and he was told to move by security, one word with a tourney director and he had an all-access press pass in like 2 minutes.

Anyway hope this helps to explain that "certain" people can go anywhere and bother anyone during the WSOP if they know the system. Later---J.Brown
Old 09-02-2004, 06:05 PM

You can do that. I was there watching a prelimary tournament the first of May and stood by the two tables where Helmuth and Men the Master were playing. The two were playing back to back at seperate tables and they were needling each other often. Men is just as entertaining without the tv cameras on him. was buying Caronas and waters for spectators, getting up and signing autographs for anyone who asked between hands, and telling plenty of jokes. spent hours within three feet of him and enjoying every minute of it. brought home a water bottle I got from him when he was passing out free waters to the crowd. he really enjoyed it when any young pretty lady stood by him. flirted with them intensely as he played.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was literally on Moneymaker's lap during some of the final table because I was watching it with Benny Behnen, that gave an all access pass for sure back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? He didn't take offense to a stranger on his lap?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:03 PM

Why just stand by the table when you can hang from the ceiling and watch if you have a Harrah's platinum players club card?