Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Tried to steal, got called...now what?

I'm pretty new to MTTs, but getting to the point where I will get into the money more often than not. The biggest problem I have once in the money is stealing, getting flat called, and missing on the flop. For example:

This hand is from last night's Party $20+2. We're in the money, and I'm about average for chips, at 13k or so. Table is quite tight, with most raises taking down the blinds, which are 500/1000.

In the CO, I have K3o. I raise to 3000, and it's folded to the BB (t30k) who calls.

Flop: J75 rainbow.

BB Checks.

Hero...

What are the best options here? (Last night I made a horribly weak bet of 2k, he pushed, and I had to fold.)
Old 09-11-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Tried to steal, got called...now what?

Hey Sam,

Hero checks. At a table playing super-tight like you described, a call on your raise is not a good sign, of course. BB may be a bit loose with 30k, but this hand is going nowhere fast.

One way I battle this type of situation is selectively stealing. First, K3o is really going nowhere, which of course you understand. Second, if you've been stealing for a little while, someone may notice it and play back at you. Hence, you need to bring a little more to the table, and have a chance at making a good hand even if the flop doesn't hit you hard.

-Edge
Old 09-11-2004, 12:07 PM

Yup, steal with hands that have a decent potential, such as suited cards. If you get called and totally miss the flop, it's usually better to accept the loss and let the hand go.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:03 PM

VERY read dependant this late in the tourney. If he likes to see a lot of flops, then I might take another shot at the pot. You bet 3k, called , plus 500 from the SB for a pot of 6500. The problem here is that you only have 10k left. If you felt that he just wanted to see a flop, I'd push another 3k here. If he hasn't made this move often, I'd check/fold. You raised it preflop, so unless you have been doing this alot, he probably gives you some respect of a hand.
Nick
Old 09-11-2004, 04:09 PM

Don't steal from big stacks. Also, steal with a halfway decent hand (small pair, suited connector, face cards), rather than total garbage like K3o).
Old 09-11-2004, 09:15 PM

Sam,

First of all, raise less preflop. I know everyone says 3xBB is optimal, yadda yadda, but later in tournaments I'd say my typical raise here would be to about 2600 or so. 2.5-2.8xBB is good for me.

Secondly, I think at this juncture you either push or check/fold. You have a stack where you can't make a real bet then fold. I'd tend to check behind here most of the time, unless i had a specific read.

-jason
Old 09-11-2004, 09:45 PM

In answer to what to do now that you have gotten into this mess, you can check and see if you catch a king on the turn. If not, you should probably fold to a decent bet.

You could also bluff raise allin. The chip leader may not have needed much of a hand to call you (which was why raising him was a bad idea), so you may be ahead now. It's risky, but fortune favors the brave.