Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Playing a disguised flush. . .

PokerStars $1/$2 NLHE table, $200 max buy-in. I just sat down and have about $200, villain has about $160.

I'm dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG. At a full table I'd normally muck this, but three people are sitting out so we're 6-handed. I limp, Button limps, Blinds limp. 4 player.

Flop (pot=$8): Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Blinds check. Q-rag-rag is my favorite flop to bluff/semi-bluff, so I bet $7. Button calls, blinds fold.

Turn (pot=$22): Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Doing my best "I did not like that spade" impersonation, I think for ten seconds, then bet $10. Button calls.

River (pot=$42): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

How much will a lone Queen almost certainly call? I decide on $35, Button quickly mini-raises to $70. I call.

Should I have reraised? Bet more in the first place? The Button would be hard-pressed to put me on a flush, but I'm far from the nuts.

Results: <font color="white">Button turned over Qd Tc -- trips w/ a weak kicker. I think his raise was awful; the only worse hand that might pay him off is an Ace that was bluffing all the way.</font>
Old 08-27-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Playing a disguised flush. . .

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars $1/$2 NLHE table, $200 max buy-in. I just sat down and have about $200, villain has about $160.

I'm dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG. At a full table I'd normally muck this, but three people are sitting out so we're 6-handed. I limp, Button limps, Blinds limp. 4 player.

Flop (pot=$8): Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Blinds check. Q-rag-rag is my favorite flop to bluff/semi-bluff, so I bet $7. Button calls, blinds fold.

Turn (pot=$22): Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Doing my best "I did not like that spade" impersonation, I think for ten seconds, then bet $10. Button calls.

River (pot=$42): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

How much will a lone Queen almost certainly call? I decide on $35, Button quickly mini-raises to $70. I call.

Should I have reraised? Bet more in the first place? The Button would be hard-pressed to put me on a flush, but I'm far from the nuts.

Results: <font color="white">Button turned over Qd Tc -- trips w/ a weak kicker. I think his raise was awful; the only worse hand that might pay him off is an Ace that was bluffing all the way.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe some will vehemently disagree with this, but I say re-raise on the river. With some very rough math, he's only got what, 60 or so left in front of him? At this point, I think it's still very likely you're ahead. Very likely. And it's also extremely likely you're going to get a call, since the pot is so big anyway. Even down here, most people don't like to slowplay a set on a two-suited board. Only thing you might be afraid of is AQ, and I don't expect to see it that much. I figure something like QJ or QT here, or occasionally even some sort of random ace like AT or AJ. Of course, with any of these holdings, the min-raise on the river is pretty awful, but who knows?

Checked results... hey, I did purdy goot this time ;P
Old 08-27-2004, 03:44 PM

I'd just call.

Who knows, he could have the A high or K high flush here. It's very unlikely that he has a full house. The way he played it could be open trips or a higher flush. The min-raise on the river looks like it wants to be called (who folds to a min-raise?).
Old 08-27-2004, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just call.

Who knows, he could have the A high or K high flush here. It's very unlikely that he has a full house. The way he played it could be open trips or a higher flush. The min-raise on the river looks like it wants to be called (who folds to a min-raise?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, (that he wants to be called) but the way this was played, many party players would want their trip queens to be called.

I just tend to think that you're good well over half the time here, and so would tend to re-raise. I don't mind the call though, don't get me wrong, I just think that the raise was a better option. I think at this point you're bound to get called by any hand you were beating anyway.

I like the river bet size. But, I think it's small enough that you're going to face raises from trips, as many people would figure that you just hit an Ace, believing your weakness act, and then thinking you just fell your way into top pair which is what caused you to wake up. To me, you got the worst good card you could have on the turn, and the best blank on the river, and you need to take advantage of that.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:05 PM

I push. You stack him. Disguising your flush is only good if it helps the other guy pay you off. The first part worked great!! The second part (the part where you get money) failed.