Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 03:52 AM

Default KQ Flopped Full

2-5 NL. I have about 1000. Villain has 800 or so. I pick up KQ in the BB. 4 or 5 limpers to me. I check. Flop comes Kh Qh Qc. I lead out for 25, one caller in the cutoff, a player I respect. Turn is Ad. I lead out again for 70, called. River is 9c. I lead for 150, and get raised to 400. He has 300 left, which I have covered. Decision/comments on all streets?

-Evan
Old 08-30-2004, 04:36 AM

Default Re: KQ Flopped Full

well i think you should put him all in for two reasons:
1) you are most likely ahead, considering that there was no raise preflop

and

2) the fact that he only has 300 left means that he will probably make a crying call with a hand like QJ. I think he will call with quite a few worse hands here.

Also, i feel there is very little chance he limped here with KK or AA after a few limpers. The only hand that beats you here is AQ. If he has that and turned a 2 outer, so be it. But I still think he puts you on a good K or maybe AJ or something, and thinks his QT is good.

Is there any chance he would raise here with J10? It seems unlikely if hes a good player.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But I still think he puts you on a good K or maybe AJ or something, and thinks his QT is good.

Is there any chance he would raise here with J10? It seems unlikely if hes a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. You think that he'd raise with QJ or QT, but not JT? JT is a stronger hand.

Justin A
Old 08-30-2004, 04:43 AM

You're behind exactly three hands of which only AQ seems particularly reasonable. Unless I knew this guy only made big river raises with the nuts, I would re-raise him all-in. He will fold a busted flush draw but he will call with any Queen (especially Q9), 99 and possibly less given the size of the pot. I think even if you get called here you're going to be ahead a lot of the time.

If you guys had more money left I would feel differently about this hand.

SpaceAce
Old 08-30-2004, 05:16 AM

He had AQ didnt he [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Still a push...although its not not even close.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-30-2004, 07:01 AM

because of your free look, you must assume the button has on Q-rag. your fearless leadout into a five handed pot def backs this up... (btw, insane!.. youre holding all the "good cards" and there was no preflop raise.) he may even suspect you of just a king... i think most of the time the button will show you Q-J or J-T, therefore you should obviously reraise him in. i assume you going to tell us he showed A-Q, if so, brutal. nothing you can do. get some more. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 07:15 AM

I don't think it's insane to lead on this flop. It's a pretty draw heavy board. Like you said, he is holding all the good cards, so he's either going to get action from people drawing or he's not. Or he could get action from a worse queen. He could probably get action from a good king as well, as that's kind of what he's representing. While I think potting it is too much on the flop, I like to bet. A bet of 15 is much more enticing to a hand like JTo than 25 on a paired board/two-toned board.

Anyway, on the end, pushhh.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:45 AM

i certainly dont think leading is a bad play, if you dont bet, youre forced utilize a check-call, check-raise line completely revealing the strength of your hand.
i would be tempted to check as a free turn card could be a broadway card filling a gut-shot for a player who may have tossed his A-T for $20 on the flop (as he obviously should.) he might be so thrilled by that card, hell get all his money in the middle drawing dead. this situation is extremely player/game dependent. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM

I think you have to bet this flop. Either you are going to get action from good hands or good drawing hands, if nobody has anything, everyone is going to fold on the turn to a bet anyway. IMO this is one of those situations where you bet and hope that someone else has a decent holding...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:51 AM

this one is entirely image and history dependent. what does he think of you? are you a nit? do you guys play aggressively and run each other off a lot of pots?

you said there were four or five limpers pretty casually, so i assume this is a good game. do both of you play a lot of hands and pretend to gamble with the fishies or are you tightwads feasting on the unaware?

if you two have some gamble in you then he'll probably feel sick but obliged to call his last 300. as has been pointed out, your small river bet looks some random queen; does he expect you to pay off with no kicker? if you two are careful, plodding types then call and be happy to get something back.

against most players i respect this is a clear call.