Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Ivey AK vs. Brunson QQ

I would like to hear others opinions on this hand as I would not have played the hand the way that Phil Ivey did. Doyle limps in under the gun, Phil makes the standard raise, then Doyle pushes all in for about 7 times the raise amount. Hmmmm. If you put Doyle on the possible hands he would play this way, we have AA, KK, QQ, AKs.

There are normally 6 ways to make aces or kings, though if you have one of each that is reduced to 3 each. QQ can be made 6 ways and AK now at 9 ways. Out of all of these hands Phil is a huge dog 6 out of 21 times, a small dog 6 out of 21 times, and dead even the remaining 9 out of 21 times (or still a small dog if Doyle is suited). Perhaps he is thinking that Doyle would play many other hands here but to me the limp then all in play is very strong.

Am I missing something here or was this a misstep by the great Phil Ivey? (not trying to be sarcastic here; I truly think he is one of the very best players out there).

Regards-
Old 08-23-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Ivey AK vs. Brunson QQ

Actually I think AA and KK would call the reraise, or make another normal reraise, and the AK hand would push all in. You want AA and KK called for as much as possible, but AK given a choice, I think taking off with the current pot is good stuff. I bet Phil was at least 80% that doyle was on AK or possibly even AQ or AJ by the way he played the hand.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:06 AM

Interesting analysis. I would have put Doyle on the grouping of hands that I mentioned as he specifically talks about AQ on down, and KQ on down as troublesome hands. From Super System: "You should commit to memory the following list of trouble hands. I call them that because that's exactly what they are... and I only play them in borderline situations. They're hands you can lose a lot of money with... so you should play them very cautiously. You don't want to jeopardize much money with them." (p. 505)

Based on this analysis, I would not have called the all in.

Regards-
Old 08-23-2004, 09:56 AM

ivey opens a lot of pots, he will not be strong enough to call a reraise much of the time. for this reason doyle could be moving in with a wide range of hands. (see his Q8 move in the WPT championships '03).

also your comments relating to his book are completely irrelevant to the discussion.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:19 AM

I believe Doyle and Phil play together regularly in cash games, Phil might have picked something up on Doyle or been aware of how he has played similiar hands in past. I also think it's hard to judge what is really going on during that tournament, it seems like, big all in hand, commercial, new chip count, player interview, big all in hand, commercial, etc.

DL
Old 08-23-2004, 11:48 AM

Actually didn't Doyle limp and Phil came over the top and then Doyle went all in. I was thinking Doyle could be the one criticized. Why not call? Phil has to call the all in with AK, he has too many chips committed.

Also, as someone points out later in the thread, maybe Phil picked up something in cash games against Doyle. Like what? How to coin flip. I would be the last person to criticize a guy for taking a coin flip with the best hand but Doyle could have controlled the pot better by calling. If it isn't in his new book it should be. In NL hold-em the first person to act often controls the pot.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Don Lapre... haha.. didn't I see him teaching how to make millions by placing tiny classified ads in newspapers.

Is this the real Don Lapre.. or just one of his fans?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:36 PM

Yeah, Doyle limped, Gus limped, and Ivey made a REALLY big bet, like 7+BBs.

I actually like Doyle's play the least, I don't understand trying to trap with QQ.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:43 PM

I would think that Doyle's play was designed to trip the hyper-aggesive Hansen in a raise and the move-in. He probably didn't count on anyone else raising the pot and if they did he could just move-in anyway.

Cody
Old 08-23-2004, 04:47 PM

Then that was a mistake too, Gus was only one player at the table, and Doyle was first to act.