Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Flopped set, scared him off on the turn, comments?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed)

Hero ($142.80)
MP1 ($19.50)
MP2 ($244.95)
CO ($98.50)
Button ($61.80)
SB ($93.50)
BB ($161.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls $1, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, BB calls $3, Hero calls $3, MP1 calls $3, Button folds.

Flop: ($17) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $14</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls $16.

Turn: ($77) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, SB folds.

Final Pot: $77

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins $77. </font>

Hm, looks like it didn't convert properly. Turn action was SB checks, Hero bets $40, SB thinks for a very, very long time and folds.

Questions:

Should I have raised on the flop? Should I have called and potentially let MP1 stay in? The primary reason I raised is that this table has been very fishy, and many players (especially MP1 who has seen almost every flop) are playing rather loose, and playing *anything* soooooted. I also wasn't convinced that SB wasn't on a flush draw like KQd either. I figured if the strength SB had been showing was a made hand and not a draw he wouldn't be slowed down by a small raise.

When he checked to me on the turn my read was that he probably held AK or AQ, possibly QQ/KK. He had about $60 left at this point and I wasn't sure whether I should put him all in or try to get him committed and then push the river.

In hindsight though, are there really any scare cards for me at this point? If he calls another bet on the turn and a diamond falls on the river I'm not really afraid of a flush. If he has it he sucked out horribly and so be it. My position could even improve if another ace falls giving him trips to my boat. I'm still happy with the result but comments are welcome.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Flopped set, scared him off on the turn, comments?

MP only has 19 bucks to start with unless this has converted wrong, so by you raising you aren't forcing him out, the original flop bet puts him just about all-in.

For me, if he's the type of person to take a stab, then shut down on the turn and check if he doesn't hold an Ace, I would probably raise the flop trying to extract as much as I can(especially with an Ace flopping, real hard to let him make a second best hand that would also pay you off), raising to $30 here I like because it's almost a minraise and tons of horrible players would have a hard time folding a PP here.
If he's aggressive and will most likely bet the turn again I would wait, if he bets say around $30, moving him in isn't an overbet and a strong Ace would have a hard time laying this down.

Also, by betting $40 on the turn, you are essentially putting him all-in, If he calls this $40, I doubt he concedes the pot of this size with only $20 remaining unless he indeed does have a flush draw and misses on the river.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:11 PM

I think just call the flop. SB either has the Ace or is bluffing. If you "think" a while before calling he might try a second bluff and if he has the A he'll probly assume you have the draw &amp; try to bet you out. You then want to raise about 1 1/2 times his turn bet if it is large or 3/4 of the pot if his bet is small. That should keep him calling if he is a bad player or has AK. Bte enough on the river to put him in as he will have a real hard time folding AK if he has it.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:05 PM

I would probably raise to about $40 on the flop. Your raise is almost a min raise, and just doesn't get enough money in the pot.

I like the turn bet just fine. It's about half the pot, and you're probably not going to want to bet much less than that. I'd guess he doesn't even have an ace, more likely a PP. Flop is a good time to get your money in.

Justin A
Old 08-21-2004, 08:09 PM

fine on all streets. the turn big underbet is fine because you only leave him with 20 or so behind, and he will get that all in on the river with most hands anyways. plus he is more likely on a made hand than a drawing one. you could actually even bet like 30 or something and get the rest in on the river vs AK, AQ.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fine on all streets. the turn big underbet is fine because you only leave him with 20 or so behind, and he will get that all in on the river with most hands anyways. plus he is more likely on a made hand than a drawing one. you could actually even bet like 30 or something and get the rest in on the river vs AK, AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thought on the turn bet. I wanted to bet an amount that a.) he'd call and b.) would get the rest of his stack on the river.

Part of the problem was a lot of the table seemed to be playing with scared money, a lot of $3-$5 bets stealing $20 pots.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:51 PM

something seems wrong..

cant be .50 BB, must be $1 BB

As for the play, I would be more on the flop, atleast $35 for me, flush draw, even if you did not put him on the flush its still worth it. If he has an ace he would probably still call, everything else is fine by my book.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something seems wrong..

cant be .50 BB, must be $1 BB

As for the play, I would be more on the flop, atleast $35 for me, flush draw, even if you did not put him on the flush its still worth it. If he has an ace he would probably still call, everything else is fine by my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is .50/1 the converter seems to have issues with pokerstars (halves the BB)