Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Party 15-30 hand

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (14.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Ad 9d (flush, ace high).
Hero shows Qd Td (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP1 wins 16.50 BB. </font>

Comments on all streets welcome, as I had discussed hand with a fellow 2+2er who disagreed with part of the play.

-ActionBob
Old 08-20-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Party 15-30 hand

I would raise the flop, you are drawing to a 12-outer (most of the time) and you have someone trapped between you and the flop bettor. Plus you might get a free card on the turn.

On the turn, I might just call and go for overcalls, planning on raising the river. That way you might get some money out of opponents who are drawing dead on the turn.

Once it gets capped on the turn, just calling the river is good.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:06 PM

Played correctly.

Going one more bet on the river would be silly given the combinations of possible flushes he could have here. There are a lot more Axs combinations (even excluding Ajs A9s - since he open limped with a poster) than other flush combinations. The other streets are standard.

He should have checkraised you on the river.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He should have checkraised you on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100% here. At least hero saved a bet because this is a clear error from the villian.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:08 AM

Raise the flop with your huge draw. You raise now for value, and the side-effect of perhaps getting a free card on the turn is gravy.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 08-21-2004, 09:40 AM

I would actually just call the flop and just call the turn. I understand raising the flop for value and/or a free card, but I think you get more value by seeing a turn card without knocking additional players out, particularly in this case given your relative position to the aggressor.

On the turn isnt this a good case of going for overcalls? It seems like you simply fold the dead money while allowing the nut to get more money in. Yes, this will allow a set or lone Ad to draw cheaply, but from the action it doesnt seem like there is a set out there, and this seems like a good way to win the most/lose the least for this hand.