Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Where in the world is Chris Moneymaker?

The wonderboy is such a poker icon that even little kids in my neighborhood know of him! "All in! All in! Like Moneymaker!" urged my daughter the other day but the hand quite didn't make the cut (7-3 offsuit). Whatever happened to dear Moneymaker after his big WSOP win? Is he still active and if so has he been able to repeat his performance??
Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Where in the world is Chris Moneymaker?

[ QUOTE ]
The wonderboy is such a poker icon that even little kids in my neighborhood know of him! "All in! All in! Like Moneymaker!" urged my daughter the other day but the hand quite didn't make the cut (7-3 offsuit). Whatever happened to dear Moneymaker after his big WSOP win? Is he still active and if so has he been able to repeat his performance??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've realized now this was in May. He was out the first day. No great shame, so were John Juanda and a host of others. He (Moneymaker) did cash in 2 (I think) events...
Old 08-18-2004, 04:33 PM

I was wondering if Moneymaker was a one trick wonder. I have heard that the PP m$ III winner (Eric Lindgren) continues to perform well both in online and live tourneys. Of course, it is Moneymaker with all the fame and aura. I think though that Moneymaker helped bring poker into mainstream....
Old 08-18-2004, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if Moneymaker was a one trick wonder. I have heard that the PP m$ III winner (Eric Lindgren) continues to perform well both in online and live tourneys. Of course, it is Moneymaker with all the fame and aura. I think though that Moneymaker helped bring poker into mainstream....

[/ QUOTE ]

Lindgren was a pretty well known pro before the PPM III win. MoneyMaker truly came out of nowhere.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:45 PM

He also won Aruba and was at the final table in Paris on the WPT.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:52 PM

Chris got second in one of the WPT Tournaments. I believe he went all in with pocket 10s and Phil Gordon called with an A 7. (Or something like that.) Phil ended up flopping an Ace to win.

I was one of the Moneymaker critics, but lets face it...you have to play a pretty decent game and you'll definitely have to get a little lucky to win the big one. Do I think he deserves all the attention?...not really. But he has helped poker become mainstream. Lots a dead money out there if you can manage to sludge your way through.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:53 PM

and in the Bay Area WPT event (I think this was the one) he came in 2nd or 3rd and had 2-3 really bad beats towards the end. He played extremely well on the hands they showed on the telecast. So I would say that he is definitely not a one trick wonder at all.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:03 PM

I have heard through sacred secretive sources that Moneymaker was a plant by the media industry seeking to exploit advertising potential behind yet another sport. They created Tiger Woods for Golf, Michael Jordan for Basketball, and Smarty Jones (Derby) so on and this is their latest creation for poker. Of course, they are also behind the creation of other made-for-media events like the OJ Simpson case, Kobe Bryant case and there is a whole bunch of these planned when the season gets slow. If anyone wants to be a legend there is a way to submit yourself for consideration. It helps if you are down on your luck, have a catchy unusual name or profession, are from the backwoods (like Moneymaker), publish quirky posts on forums like 2plus2, and so on. I would have applied but I am too generic and they didn't see much potential in sponsoring me as the next wonderkid. Let me know if any of you wish to apply.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard through sacred secretive sources that Moneymaker was a plant by the media industry seeking to exploit advertising potential behind yet another sport. They created Tiger Woods for Golf, Michael Jordan for Basketball, and Smarty Jones (Derby) so on and this is their latest creation for poker. Of course, they are also behind the creation of other made-for-media events like the OJ Simpson case, Kobe Bryant case and there is a whole bunch of these planned when the season gets slow. If anyone wants to be a legend there is a way to submit yourself for consideration. It helps if you are down on your luck, have a catchy unusual name or profession, are from the backwoods (like Moneymaker), publish quirky posts on forums like 2plus2, and so on. I would have applied but I am too generic and they didn't see much potential in sponsoring me as the next wonderkid. Let me know if any of you wish to apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it on the internet! It must be true! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Why do so many posters insist on running down the players you see on TV? Is it such a big deal that these guys won a big tournament and you didn't? When you even enter a tournament as big as this, then you can laugh.

If Greg Raymer gets knocked out in the first round next year will you all decide his is a "One-Trick Pony" also? Figure it out - there can only be a single World Champion at the $10k WSOP each year! If you win it, you are the Champ. Beyond that, there are dozens of great pros out there that you will never hear of because they never make the last table. That does not make them bums!

Howard Lederer played in the WSOP and made the final table in 1987. It took him a long time to get there again. Was he a bum for 16 years? No.

Growup and stop being so envious of players that would take your chips in a minute.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]