Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 04:48 PM

Default I\'ve Started Bluffing a bit More. What do You Think?

Party 3-table multi $50+5. blinds are 15/30. I have T2375.

I am BB w/ 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG limps, as does CO. SB folds.

Flop(3 players)T105:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

i check, UTG bets T30. folds to me. i raise to T150. UTG calls.

turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet out T375. UTG calls.

river: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I push. UTG folds.

Villain in this hand was a solid player so far who had me covered in chips by about T300. I put him on a Q or a single spade. obviously, if i am wrong i'm done. basically, i'm tired of waiting around for a hand for so long the blinds cripple me. i am trying to detect relative weakness in decent players who can fold top pair. his flop bet was suspicious, as he had been protecting his hands so far.

cheers!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: I\'ve Started Bluffing a bit More. What do You Think?

Seems a little too risky this early in a MTT. If you figure yourself to be one of the better players in the tournament, IMO there's no need to risk it all this early.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:01 PM

You said you're tired of waiting for the blinds to get you down, well at this point you are probably in 3rd or 4th place in the tournament. I think you were risking a very healthy stack on not even a semi-bluff. If you had about 1200 I could understand this risk, but with a stack that large, this is a little reckless in my opinion.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:08 PM

I like the flop raise here (if you have seen this opponent fold when he has been raised before), but I think you took this bluff too far and got lucky. After he calls the turn he either has top pair which he has decided to call you with unless a 4th spade hits, or a big flush draw, or a slow played flush. In this circumstance you don't know if a 4th flush card helps or hurts you. The idea is good, but do it with position, and when you can narrow your opponents holdings a bit more.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:11 PM

It's usually not a good idea to bluff early. There is not much in the plot, and the players tend to be calling station. Evidently, you knew this opponent was bluffable. Continuing to bluff to the river with nothing worked, but it seems dangerous. I would try simpler bluffs. Make a play for a pot when no one appeaers to have anything.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:11 PM

don't you think it is better to be first to act when bluffing?

cheers!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 PM

i realize i am risking my tourney here. i certainly will not make a habit of this type of play. the reason i decided to do it early was that if i lost, i only lost 10 or 15 minutes instead of 45 minutes.

i am more interested in what everyone thinks of the bluff in general. leave out the fact that it is early on and that i am covered in chips. i simply decided before i started that i was going to find a scary board that i completely missed and represent strength where others had shown weakness.

what do you think UTG had? i put him on a Q with a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] by his turn call, which is why i was nearly certain he would lay down with an all-in bet on the river.

cheers!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 PM

no, I don't. If I have a good read on a player then what he does (checks, bets small, bets big) on a given street will give me information. For example, if a player is not capable of check-raising the river, then a check on the end after a scary car indicates a great bluffing spot for example. Acting second makes it a lot harder for your opponent to continue with mediocre holdings.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:00 PM

I think a Q with As would have reraised you all in on the turn. I figure AsTd type hand that is loose early on and ok with calling with ~12 outs. I’d have put you on QJ or KQ with one spade, with a small flush or set possible but less likely. I usually put people on 1 spade when they play 3flsh very fast, because that’s about 5x statistically more likely, and made flushes often don’t mind slowplaying abit.

I wouldn’t play that hand that aggressively. Wait til you’ve got a semibluff until you risk all your chips.