Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 12:19 AM

Default 99 vs AAx flop

Table is fairly loose 1/2 table. BB and SB are both loose calling stations, but SB is a bit tighter. Button is somewhat laggy.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, between Hero, Button and SB.</font>

When the board double-paired on the river, I almost checked, but since I knew I was calling, I thought it was worth calling anyway. After being raised, I felt like the pot was too big not to call.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: 99 vs AAx flop

Looks like you bet A-x for them. SB was probably going to c/r the turn until all the diamonds showed up.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:30 AM

I think your line on this was fine, including the river call. Yes you're probably beaten (more likely by a 2 than by an A -- PP'ers sneakiness usually limits itself to check/calling the flop then betting the turn), but you'll win this often enough to justify the call.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:09 AM

I think you've got the 3rd best hand here. SB is relatively tight and passive, but check-raises the river in a protected pot.. seems like A-rag. Button could have anything, but I'll say he's got a 2 or a scared mid-level flush.

When you are called in two places on the turn, I think one of them has you beat enough to pray that you can see a free showdown*. The two things a lot of passive players remember are PF raises and subsequent betting on Ace high flops.

*EDIT: given that another 2 came and the only real draw also hit on the turn. more ragged boards may be worth another bet against very passive players.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:40 AM

Sure. Don't sweat it.