Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Is this someting that just happens?

I'm a beginner so I'm not sure if this is something that happens a given % of the time of what.

Waiting for decent cards I fold, fold, fold .........Folding is getting old but I have not had anything worth playing yet and it seems like every time I hit the BB somebody puts in a large raise so I don't get to see the flop here either.

After a while I decide to loosen up on my starting hand requirements and limp in to try to see some cheap flops BUT every time I limp in with a marginal hand it gets raised, and reraised pushing me out.

Eventually I get short stacked enough that I'm just looking for "anything" to go all in with but even doubling up here leaves me a little short stacked so soon enough the entire process is repeated and then I get busted out never really having any cards the entire game.

I don't see playing with junk, as a real option but is this most likely a problem with my play or do you just have some games where you don't catch any cards?

John F
Old 08-20-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Is this someting that just happens?

It's pretty much something that just happens.

As you become more experienced, you will learn to see when it is about to happen and maybe put in a raise a little earlier than you would have done initially so that you live on the right side of the danger level rather than the wrong side.

Lori
Old 08-20-2004, 08:55 PM

Just to clarify, I'm not saying you can predict your future cards, just that you get a feel for when K7s is favourite to be the best hand you are going to get rather than hoping for something better.

Lori
Old 08-20-2004, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty much something that just happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good...in a way.
As I am learning more all of a sudden I've had a lot of games just like this. I started wondering if I got something "out of whack".

John F