Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Legality of Organizing Big Tourneys/Games

Hi,

I'm curious as to the legality of running big tourneys and cash games in a college setting. I believe it is legal since the house will not be profiting. A while back I saw a clip from the 2003 WSOP where a cop busted out of the tourney and said people have a misconception that poker is illegal. He said it is only illegal when the house takes a cut from the game.

I am a huge poker fan and plan on organizing tons of games and some big tourney's possibly up to 1,000 people. Since I will be back at College I want to be able to find a game everynight.

Is there any way for me to get in trouble if I am only running a website to organize games? My college is in Pennsylvania.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Legality of Organizing Big Tourneys/Games

www.gambling-law-us.com is a good resource.

Most states do not allowed tournaments where there is a buyin even if it rewards all of the cash back. They usually allow freerolls for door prizes though. I would see if any local bars are running tourneys, and the details of their structure, as they will have already done the legal research, since losing a liquor license is like giving away $500k in most states.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 AM

"I would see if any local bars are running tourneys, and the details of their structure, as they will have already done the legal research"

Don't bet on that
Old 08-17-2004, 09:39 AM

No kidding?

Here in FL all of the local bars know the laws on this stuff like they are lawyers it seems. It also depends on how easy/difficult it is to get a liquor license though. A liquor license in Pinellas or Hillsborough county, from what I have been told, is easily worth $1 million, just because they only give out a set number, and that number has been reached. This makes the bars here take anything that could potentially take away their liquor license very seriously.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:55 AM

well, based on some recent actions by bars in my area, not all of them are so viligant