Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 01:55 PM

Default My 1st Limit Tournament

I played in my first limit tournament and was suprised at the style of play. I am an experienced low/mid limit player in live action hold 'em with more winning days than losing. I play relatively tight but active if I make my hand or am ahead.

I posted on here last week asking for tips on how to approach a limit tournament versus conventional poker and versus a no limit tournament. The responses that I got essentially told me to tighten up in the early rounds while the blinds were still small because you will always have lots of callers. I ended up lasting through 4 rounds and about half the players, but not doing near as well as I wanted to.

All of the big stacks at my table were people who were loose as hell and you never knew what they were going to do next. I watched one win with 82o and k4o. I couldn't believe what I was watching people start hands with.

One particular hand was of major interest. I get dealt 3c-10c. About 5 players in front of me, and I fold. The cards flip over and the table sees them. At least 4 of the players at my table gasped and made comments over my folding of such a "good" hand. One even yelled to his friend at the next table to which the friend replied, "3-10s and he didn't raise??" I'm appalled at these peoples train of thought. I told them that if I'm dealt that hand a million times in a row, I fold it all million times. Is 3-10s a good hand in limit tournament poker, because it's not in conventional poker?

Should I loosen up in tournament play or was this table just a freak table?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: My 1st Limit Tournament

Where was this tournament? I want to play in it!

These people aren't very bright. Ocassionally playing hands like that is fine, especially early when you aren't risking much of your stack. But it isn't 'normal' to play T3s, much less to raise with it.

I'm assuming you either won this thing or got drawn out on in a big hand...

To answer your question: Don't play too tightly - mix up your game a little, but don't loosen up to play 82o or T3s as a regular hand.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:06 PM

I've noticed that lately with limit tourneys...3 bets cold no problem with rags -

I think it's an effect of the WPT/WSOP final table syndrome...the same one that makes a guy push all in with 10/3 offsuit post flop with a pair of 3's trying to drive someone out of an 80 buck pot...LOL

RB
Old 08-12-2004, 03:22 PM

At least some of those people were surely joking.