Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 02:24 AM

Default did i slow play this too much?

Empire Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

MP2 (t800)
Hero (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t705)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t785)
UTG+2 (t925)
MP1 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t15, CO calls t15, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t15</font>, CO folds, SB calls t15, BB calls t15.

Turn: (t105) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, SB calls t30, BB calls t30.

River: (t195) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t15</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t30</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, Hero calls t220.

Final Pot: t695

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Kc 5s (two pair, kings and fives).
Hero shows Ac Td (two pair, aces and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins t695. </font>
Old 08-10-2004, 02:27 AM

Default Re: did i slow play this too much?

i almost didnt call becuase of the straight out there
Old 08-10-2004, 02:33 AM

I probaly would have bet higher on the flop. It can be dangerous to try to be cute and slow play two pair when there's a chance a possible straight might develop on the board. You want to knock any drawing hands out.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:05 AM

Way to give every possible draw a chance to get there.

Bet 60 on the flop and then whatever the pot is on the turn. Also, raise or fold preflop (I prefer folding.)
Old 08-10-2004, 04:37 AM

Gap Concept (TPFAP) suggests open raising if in MP with holdings like ATo. Here is a good open raise possibility.

DO NOT SLOWPLAY THE FLOP - gutshot straight AND flush possibility? You'll get action, and your hand needs it. Bet at least 60, i'd venture up to 90/100.

Turn - stick it to them again, you're only screwed by KJ and you'll hear about it. Another BAD slowplay.

River - call the reraise and pray you don't see a J. If you had, it would have been your fault.

Next time, please leave the results off for 24 hours or so, that way the resulting posts aren't biased to the orientation of the winner.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 08-10-2004, 11:49 AM

this was a close fold for me thats why i limped in. dont know if thats 'correct'
Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 AM

sorry about the results.. im new still learning the proper etiquette here.

i didnt raise preflop becuase i wouldnt know how to play it if my cards didnt come. by limping i figured if i didnt hit my hand big i would have no problem laying it down.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:19 PM

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (Sklansky/Malmuth) is a must buy then.

Read the part on the "Gap Concept" and you will see it applies here. It'll be the best $30 you've spent on improving your tourney play.

PH
Old 08-10-2004, 12:47 PM

isnt that book geared at limit games? both online and at home i really only play no limit. but if learning limit will also help me improve my no limit game then im all for it.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:04 PM

The gap concept doesn't seem to apply here too much. Everybody has pretty much a full stack, so unless you put in a MASSIVE raise (which would be foolish with ATo), your opponents will not play unusually tight for your raise, assuming this is a low buyin tourney. The gap concept comes into play most strongly when it is close to the money, and your opponents have medium-small stacks - ie, they have a legitimate fear of being hurt badly if they call your raise and lose, but not so small that they will go all-in out of desperation.

Staying away from hands like ATo early in the tournament is probably a good idea, especially for beginners (check out Aleo Magus' ABC guide.) You can get into a lot of trouble if it hits you and your opponent at the same time. It's hard to feel confident playing for a big pot with those hands, and your stack is so deep this early in the tourney that it's probably not worth the risk.

P.S. definitely bet bigger on the flop, and especially bet bigger on the turn