Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Default A hypothetical question.

If everyone at a table was playing proper ABC poker except for one guy who called all the way to the river how many hands would he win? Am I correct in saying that his long term would be 1 out of every 10, assuming there are ten people at the game? Obviously he wouldn't make money or anything, it was just another 2+2 and I were having this discussion. While I agree that playing proper would increase you profit and min your loss, I don't belive it would change the callers chance at winning.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: A hypothetical question.

I think he would win more than one pot in ten. If all players always called all the way to the river, they would each win one pot in ten. As they don't, some of them are bound to throw their potential winner hands, and let the calling station win pots he where not entitled to.

I still wouldn't advice the strategy though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ejnar Pik, Southern-Docks.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: A hypothetical question.

No. I think he would win more than 1 out of every 10 hands. Because the guy that folded 24o before the flop could have had the best hand that beat him had he stayed in. So he will win on the times that he would have the best hand if everyone went to the river and also the times that he had the second best hand but now has the best hand because someone folded the best while playing sound poker. So he will win a lot more than his fair share, but he will lose way more.
Get it? Cool.
Ryan
p.s. sometimes i suck at explaining myself.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:38 PM

Default \"It depends\"

On a tough table, about one-third of the time - but with huge overall losses.

With a loose table, less than 20%.

By the way - I cheated and tested that - I didn't magically know it. Someone already highlighted the intuition behind why it's higher than 10%.