Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 11:02 PM

Default flop play in the BB, and some boo-hooing from me

I hope you guys aren't getting tired of my "flop play" posts, cuz here's another one.

Ed's book has got me thinking about a lot of things, but I don't want to fall into the "if it ain't broke" syndrome, yet I'm in the middle of a really dry spell, and am beginning to wonder if it's been my play of late, or just some variance and bad luck.

I'm thinking about taking a "back to basics" approach with my game for awhile to see if I can snap out of it, so you might have to prepare yourself for some remedial posts from me. (Not that that would be too far from the norm.)

Anyway, enough of my whining. Here's one for your enjoyment. Consider my opponents in this hand very loose and above average on the agression scale.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...?

What do you think the best action is on this flop and why?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: flop play in the BB, and some boo-hooing from me

I'm always wary of looking for a straight when its likely someone will hit a flush...I would check here and try for a free card. If there is a bet and a call before the turn, I would probably fold it. Perhaps I am too timid...
Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 PM

hmm, since you ar OOP, maybe check-raise? With only four in the pot, I would not be as afraid of the the flush draw, but if it hits and you get a lot of action, of course you have to reconsider. plus a check-raise may drive out the draw, plus give you a free turn card.

I am making the shift from NL and PL to limit though, so.... feel free to flame me.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:24 PM

I would check here and try for a free card. If there is a bet and a call before the turn, I would probably fold it.

If CO and/or button are typical players, I don't think they'll check it through on the flop. With four players in the pot, two of whom are in the blinds, one of them is probably likely to bet for position to protect his Ax or whatever from being drawn out on by the blinds on free rides or win it right there or whatever other reasons people have for betting from the button with almost nothing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd bet out here; I doubt anyone likes their hand very much with this flop, but they'll probably pay to see the turn. Hopefully they'll all come along. If not, and that bet gets you three-way or heads-up, it's probably no longer profitable to chase with the threat of losing to ace-high, and I'd check/fold on the turn unimproved.

Of course, I may be way off-base here, and welcome corrections/critiques. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-b
Old 07-28-2004, 11:38 PM

I would check here and take the free card. With loose opponents and without any raising PF I can't really put my opponents on a hand. If CO bets here and gets called, I might even check raise here to build a pot in case I hit. But with the possible flush draw out there, I'm not sure if that's a great idea myself. If button bets, I would call given the odds.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:15 AM

Hey Stylish,
Not to pick on you particularly, but there is some very weak thinking going on in this thread. This is a great flop for the hero. He has an OESD and is a litte more than a 2:1 dog to hit by the river. You want to get as much money in the pot as possible for when you do hit. You either need to bet or check with the intention of c/r'ing. With 4 people in, if only 3 call you are making money on the flop. Personally, I would always bet out here with no pf raiser. I don't want to take a chance of this getting checked around, because you must get money in here.

-Jaran
Old 07-28-2004, 11:54 PM

Hey cold,
I would bet here every time. I want to get money in the pot and party players love to call. I know some advocate trying to c/r here, but without a pf aggressor, you have no idea where a bet will come from if it does come, and it would be awful to have this checked around.

-Jaran
Old 07-29-2004, 07:09 AM

I agree with Jaran, I would bet this 100% of the time. If they are agressive and loose then all the better, maybe some schmuck will raise it for you and the rest will call.

k
Old 07-29-2004, 07:21 AM

I say bet. You have four players in and you have an open ended straight draw. You're going to hit your straight about 30% of the time, you might win it right there, and if you can force out an overcard or two that is also to your advantage.
edit- see this thread