Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Borgata 6/12

I made a day trip to Borgata like I often do. I had previously only taken one stab at the 6/12, despite all the advice I've gotten here and in person, that the game is soft. I've always done well at their 2/4 and 3/6 games, but my one shot at 6/12 was ugly. There were weak players like I was promised, but I was unable to take advantage.

I decided to give it one more chance on Saturday. Actually, I wasn't sure I was going to, but at 1:00, just as I walked up to the desk in the poker room, they called a new game and open seating for 6/12, so I hopped right in.

I picked up kings in the second hand, and won a nice early pot when three people called me down with a board of 54255. I went cold for a while, and my $240 start, which had been up to around $350, was down to about $160.

We had two very poor players at our table at the start, but except for the kings hand, I had been unable to take advantage of either of them. One left but the other (Clueless Young Dude) called me down with weak aces a couple of times and I had worked my way back to about $220.

There was a very funny development midday. We had one player (Sleepy Guy) who was a 60-something local, playing about one round per hour. He'd return to the table just as the floor was ready to pick up his chips, fall asleep until the blinds came back around, play one or two hands very aggressively, then leave again. He bet and raised a hand all the way, with a flop of something like Ad8d5c, a Js on the turn, and 5d on the river. The one opponent who made it to the river with him, checkraised him on the end and when sleepy guy called, the raiser announced and showed a diamond flush. Sleepy Guy mucked and lost the ~$200 pot. Somebody asked him about it and he griped about always losing when he flops a set. A couple of us jumped all over that comment, because the board paired on the river. He didn't look as upset as I thought he would when we all pointed out that he mucked a boat if he flopped a set. He stuck to his story and said he didn't realize it. After he left again we had a discussion about it and everyone thought he was just overstating his hand, and that he hadn't flopped a set. I agree.

A bit later, I was at about $350 around 6 PM, when this hand made my day:

Borgata 6/12 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Bulldog is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG <font color="purple">(Bad Luck Guy)</font> raises</font>, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Card Dead Guy)</font> folds, Bulldog calls, MP2 <font color="purple">(Clueless Young Dude)</font> calls, MP3 <font color="purple">(TAG Elementary Teacher)</font> folds, CO <font color="purple">(Rusky)</font> folds, Button <font color="purple">(Sipowicz)</font> folds, SB <font color="purple">(Big Red)</font> folds, BB <font color="purple">(Early Twenties LAG)</font> (poster) calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Early Twenties LAG checks, <font color="CC3333">Bad Luck Guy bets</font>, Bulldog calls, <font color="CC3333">Clueless Young Dude raises</font>, Early Twenties LAG folds, <font color="CC3333">Bad Luck Guy 3-bets</font>, Bulldog calls, <font color="CC3333">Clueless Young Dude caps</font>, Bad Luck Guy calls, Bulldog calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Bad Luck Guy checks, Bulldog checks, <font color="CC3333">Clueless Young Dude bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Bad Luck Guy raises</font>, Bulldog calls, <font color="CC3333">Clueless Young Dude 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Bad Luck Guy caps</font>, Bulldog calls, Clueless Young Dude calls.

River: (21.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Bad Luck Guy checks, <font color="CC3333">Bulldog bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Clueless Young Dude raises</font>, Bad Luck Guy folds, <font color="CC3333">Bulldog 3-bets</font>, Clueless Young Dude calls.

Final Pot: 27.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 27.75 BB, between Bulldog and Clueless Young Dude.</font> &gt; Pot won by Bulldog (27.75 BB).

Results below:
Bulldog shows Th Td (four of a kind, tens).
Clueless Young Dude shows Kc 9s (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Bulldog wins 27.75 BB.

Bad Luck Guy reported that he had AsKs, and I win a nice $300+ pot.

That sparked a nice run for the next two hours as I built my stack up to about $720. During that run, I got into a couple of friendly tangles with Early Twenties LAG. He took a big pot off me when he made a set of queens on the turn to beat my pocket kings. We traded a couple more pots, and he showed me a big bluff one hand. I got my revenge on this hand:

Borgata 6/12 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Bulldog is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="purple">(Big Red)</font> folds, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Sleepy Guy)</font> folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 <font color="purple">(Early Twenties LAG)</font> raises</font>, MP1 <font color="purple">(ET LAG's Buddy)</font> folds, MP2 <font color="purple">(Straight Flush Man)</font> folds, <font color="CC3333">Bulldog 3-bets</font>, CO <font color="purple">(Golf Pro)</font> folds, Button <font color="purple">(TAG Elementary Teacher)</font> folds, SB <font color="purple">(Rusky)</font> folds, BB <font color="purple">(Sipowicz)</font> folds, UTG+2 <font color="purple">(Early Twenties LAG)</font> calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Early Twenties LAG checks, <font color="CC3333">Bulldog bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Early Twenties LAG raises</font>, Bulldog calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Early Twenties LAG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Bulldog raises</font>, Early Twenties LAG folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.75 BB, won by Bulldog.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Bulldog.</font>

Results below:
No showdown. Bulldog wins 8.75 BB.

He showed 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4:spade so I happily showed him my hand. Somebody told him he had pot odds to draw to his full house even if he thought I had the boat (of course he did) but he half-heartedly defended his fold. I had been really impressed with his play before this hand.

I planned on leaving at 10:00, but I told myself if I could take one more pot, boosting me over +$500, I'd leave. Well, instead I went down to about $640 by 10:00, so I gave myself one more hour or another $100 loss, whichever came first. It was one final rush for me, up to $814 at the 11:00 dealer push, so I nearly filled up three racks (nice), one with all red, and headed for the cage.

Result: +$574, or +4.8 BB/hr.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Borgata 6/12

Bulldog

it was good playing with you......i was sitting to
your right most of the day. I like your descriptions
of the players in hand 1....they're spot on.. LOL

good play against the 20-something LAG

i'll be back to Borgata with the family the 20th/21st of August.
Look me up if you're in the poker room

~Maura
Old 07-14-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Borgata 6/12

I sent you a PM.