Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 05:33 PM

Default First post: Odd hand with 99

Long time lurker -- finally have a hand I think worthy of discussion.

BB is loose and sometimes aggressive postflop. Table is typical passive Party .50/1 with only rare preflop raises. Have seen a couple of players limp with AK and AQ prior to this. I'm pretty much the only one raising consistently and getting a little too much respect.

Who folds to the three-bet on the flop? What about the bet on the turn?

I think in this instance the three-bet on the flop is what kept me in the hand against this particular player.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Tacoshooter is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Tacoshooter calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Tacoshooter raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Tacoshooter calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (6.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Tacoshooter calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Tacoshooter bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between BB and Tacoshooter.</font>
Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: First post: Odd hand with 99

I don't think you can fold the flop or the turn. His reraise on the flop may mean he has 2 pr, but you have outs against that hand.

I don't understand the bet on the end, though. He may have checked a small flush and will certainly call if he did. He will probably also call with 2 pr even though he fears you have a spade. So I don't see him folding a better hand than yours. Maybe some hands worse than yours would call too, but I'd save that last bet.

Edit: I changed my mind. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Since the pot is not that big, I would consider getting out on the turn with all the straight, flush, and bigger pair possibilities....
Old 07-11-2004, 09:47 PM

I'd say you lost to a baby flush who got scared by the 4th spade.

I have seen typical loose party players 3-bet the flop in this situation.

IMO, save the bet on the end.

-secada
Old 07-11-2004, 09:55 PM

I'll put in a vote for raising pre-flop. Other than that, I think you played fine, altough checking through on the river would probably be a better play. He is unlikely to call with a hand worse than yours, so I would save that last bet.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:07 PM

Hi tacoshooter,

I'd raise pre-Flop. Don't give them a cheap Flop with their suited crap which they'll be as happy to call 2 bets with as 1. The Flop and Turn are fine, but I'd take the free showdown on the River.

-Brian

[EDIT]: Missed the part where you said he was a LAG post-Flop. Nice River bet, you have more stones than I would even against a LAG, but it's correct. Welcome to the forums.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:08 PM

I'm pretty much the only one raising consistently and getting a little too much respect.

Which of course makes the limp/raise decision a rather easy one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would not fold this flop, I would be more inclined to think two pair here instead of a set. Once it becomes HU I would also call the turn and check behind on the river.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:17 PM

[EDIT]: Missed the part where you said he was a LAG post-Flop. Nice River bet, you have more stones than I would even against a LAG, but it's correct. Welcome to the forums.

Hey Brian-

I think you were right the first time, I think LAG checked the river due to the appearance of a four flush more than anything.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think LAG checked the river due to the appearance of a four flush more than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means he definitely doesn't have a Flush. And what other hands is the Hero scared of? Are you putting the LAG on two pair or a set just because he 3-bet the Flop? He's a LAG. I'm sure he'd do this with many hands that the Hero beat then, and is still ahead of now.

-Brian
Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 PM

Which means he definitely doesn't have a Flush. And what other hands is the Hero scared of? Are you putting the LAG on two pair or a set just because he 3-bet the Flop? He's a LAG. I'm sure he'd do this with many hands that the Hero beat then, and is still ahead of now.

Hero;s post said villian is "sometimes aggressive post flop" his check on the river does not mean he doesnt have a flush, it means he now holds a vulnerable hand

i would be happy with a free showdown here.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:50 PM

I take "loose and sometimes aggressive" to mean a LAG player. If this is an incorrect assessment, then Hero let me know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most LAGs will bet the River with any Flush, so his checking to me means that he doesn't have a Flush. If sometimes he does in fact have a low Flush and got scared on the River, then so be it. I think that the Hero will be called by a worse hand here more than 55% of the time. I would expect to often be shown a hand like 96 or A5 or etc.

-Brian